Links and documents
1904/01/01 to 1952/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Hayward School is a Municipal Heritage Property which occupies a 0.944 hectare parcel of land in the Rural Municipality of Lipton. The property features a one-room school building, teacherage and barn, which were constructed between 1904 and 1952.
The heritage value of the Hayward School lies in its status as the only known grouping of a one room school, teacherage and barn remaining on the Canadian prairies. In the decade prior to the First World War, several thousand one-room school buildings were constructed across western Canada. The rural location of most of these schools necessitated the construction of barns to house the students' horses and a teacherage to serve as residence for the teaching staff. By the 1950's, the consolidation of school districts, improved roads and increased bussing of students resulted in the closure of virtually all one-room schools. Almost all of these schools and their associated buildings were torn down or removed from their original locations, but the Hayward School complex was retained as a community landmark.
The heritage value of the Hayward School also resides in its status as one of the oldest wood-frame school buildings in Saskatchewan. Constructed in 1904, the teacherage building served as the first schoolhouse in the area. One-storey and faced with white clapboard siding, the building was typical of the small rural one-room schools constructed during the period. In 1952, this building was converted into a two bedroom teacherage upon the construction of a larger one-room school house.
The heritage value of Hayward School also lies in the status of the barn as one of the last remaining school barn structures in Saskatchewan. The sloped-roof red barn, constructed prior to 1930, featured six stalls in the main section, and large holding pens in the two wings. One of these wings was converted into a garage in 1952 for the resident teacher's automobile.
The heritage value of Hayward School can also be found in the architecture of the 1952 school building. A good representation of the new methods of school design introduced in the 1950's, the building features north/south orientation, east-facing windows, large classroom space, stucco siding and a full basement for staging events. Since being closed as a school in 1959, the building has served as short-term residence for local farm workers and as storage facilities for farming operations. Today, the property is a recognized landmark in the region and a gathering place for community events.
Lipton RM 217 Bylaw No. 98.
The heritage value of the Hayward School resides in the following character-defining elements:
-the spatial relationship of the school, barn and teacherage on their original site;
-those elements of the teacherage which reflect the use of the building as a residence, including room partitions and fixtures;
-those elements of the teacherage which reflect the 1904 schoolhouse, including wood frame construction, clapboard siding, white exterior paint, dual indoor toilets and lunch pail storage area;
-those elements of the 1952 school building which reflect the use of the building as a school, including stucco siding, spatial organization of the rooms, blackboards and the bank of windows on the east side of the building;
-those elements which speak to the form and appearance of the barn, including the sloped roof, two wings flanking the central section with stalls and the red exterior colour of the barn;
-those elements of the barn which reflect the use of the building for holding animals and automobiles, including stalls and tethering rings.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Education and Social Well-Being
Function - Category and Type
- Civic Space
- Food Supply
- Barn, Stable or Other Animal Housing
- Single Dwelling
- One-Room School
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File: MHP 1884
Cross-Reference to Collection