Home / Accueil

St. John's Separate School and Miniature Church

Happyland RM 231, Saskatchewan, S0N, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1993/06/08

Northwest view, 2004.; Government of Saskatchewan, Marvin Thomas, 2004.
St. John's Separate School and Miniature Church.
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

St. John's Separate School and Miniature Church
St. John's Parochial School Site
St. John's Separate School

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1924/01/01 to 1924/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2005/02/02

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The St. John’s Separate School and Miniature Church is a Municipal Heritage Property located along Highway No. 21 approximately 12 kilometres south of the Town of Leader. The property features a one-room schoolhouse, a replica model of St. John's Church and a non-contributing residence.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of St. John's Separate School and Miniature Church lies in its association with the establishment of separate and parochial schools in rural Saskatchewan. These schools were established and administered by several religious denominations in Saskatchewan during the early 20th century. Though not as common as the rural public schools that adorned the prairie landscape every four to six miles, separate and parochial schools were established in areas where demand and a sufficient numbers of students resided to justify the need for the schools. The Lutherans erected St. John's School in 1924, 13 years after the congregation built its first church on the same site. Originally operated as a parochial, or church-run school, St. John's became a separate school in 1942 and continued to operate as such until its closure in 1965.

The heritage value of the property also resides in the miniature church. The building is an exact replica of St. John's Lutheran Church which used to be located on the same site. The model church speaks to the significance of the Lutheran faith in the area and the direct relationship between the church and the school.

The heritage value of the site also resides in its architecture. The school's architecture is representative of the rural one and two-room schools built during this period. Like St. John's , almost all of these schools were built on a rectangular plan, contain a distinct window wall, and are of wood-frame construction.

Source:

Rural Municipality of Happyland No. 231 Bylaw No. 93-2 of 1993.

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the St. John’s Parochial School Site resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those architectural elements of the school building representative of typical one-room school houses constructed during this era including the rectangular plan, wood frame construction and large windows;
-those elements that speak to its function as a school including the original desks and chalkboards;
-those elements that speak to the significant role the Lutheran church played in the school's development such as the replica church located on the original church site.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Saskatchewan

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date

1993/06/08

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Education and Social Well-Being

Function - Category and Type

Current

Leisure
Museum
Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Historic

Education
One-Room School

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Heritage Resources Branch Culture, Youth and Recreation Regina, SK File MHP 1545

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 1545

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places