Milltown United Church
345 Milltown Boulevard , St. Stephen, New Brunswick, E3L, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Milltown United Church consists of a wooden church building located at 452 Milltown Boulevard in the Town of St Stephen.
Built in 1879 as a Congregational Church, Milltown United Church Provincial Historic Site was designated primarily because of the quality of its architectural composition, representing a complex transition from Neo-Gothic to Italianate elements. The present church was also recognized for the significance of its history as a worshipping congregation. First organized in 1846, the church has served residents of St. Croix River Valley communities on both sides of the present Canadian–American border. This church serves as a material reminder of the traditionally close family, business and cultural cross border ties. Source: New Brunswick Culture and Sport Secretariat, Heritage Branch, Site File # 93.
Character-defining elements of Milltown United Church include: - sophisticated treatment of both Neo-Gothic and Italianate stylistic features demonstrating a transitional pattern typifying late nineteenth century church architecture in this international setting; - the dramatic front facade composed of a variety of transitional design forms including a well articulated three-step tower with applied corner buttresses, and a closed belfry with octagonal steeple; - additional Italianate detail including distinctive triple round-headed windows at the base of tower, double and single windows elsewhere in the front facade and four sets of double Italianate windows along both sides of the nave; - neo-Gothic features including a prominent pointed arch over the front entrance, a steep, bracketed gable facing the main street, a large rose window above the entrance and single lancet windows on the front corner opposite the tower that extend the pointed arch motif into the eave above; - the transitional theme carried into the church interior where a small chancel extension is highlighted by a rounded Italianate arch balanced by two round-arched sections to either side of the chancel; this balanced three-arched triad represents the Holy Trinity; - furniture and their placement including the pipe organ, original to the church, housed in the chancel and the pulpit, clergy chairs and communion table placed near the entrance to the chancel.
Province of New Brunswick
Historic Sites Protection Act, s. 2(1)
Historic Sites Protection Act – Historic
1846/01/01 to 1846/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
New Brunswick Culture and Sport Secretariat, Heritage Branch, Site File # 93.
Cross-Reference to Collection