Home / Accueil

The Parish Hall

Trinity (Trinity Bay), Newfoundland and Labrador, A0C, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2004/09/25

Exterior view of front facade, The Parish Hall (Trinity, NL); HFNL 2005
The Parish Hall (Trinity, NL)
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1898/01/01 to 1905/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2005/02/10

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Built in Second Empire style, the Parish Hall is a two storey hip roofed building with attached tower. Constructed between 1898 and 1905, the structure is located in Trinity, NL. The designation is limited to the footprint of the building.

Heritage Value

The Parish Hall is designated because of its aesthetic, cultural and environmental value.

The Parish Hall has aesthetic value as is it one of the best preserved examples of a rural parish hall utilizing unique design elements. Influenced by the Second Empire style, the building’s most remarkable feature is the tower on the front facade. It stands two full storeys and is topped by a decorative cupola. The hipped roof and symmetrical lines on the exterior facade give a sense of orderliness to the structure.

The Parish Hall has cultural value because of the social function it has served in the community from the time of its construction. Maintained by St. Paul’s Anglican Church, the building has been used by church organizations and as a community centre by groups hosting dances, movie screenings, variety concerts and meetings. Up to the present it is still used by church groups and for general meetings by various clubs.

The Parish Hall has environmental value when considered in the greater context of surrounding structures. The Parish Hall and neighbouring government building and hotel all date from the late 1800s and form what could be considered a town square. Similar physical groupings of buildings are rare in rural Newfoundland and serve as physical reminders of settlement patterns in prosperous places such as Trinity.
Source: Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador property designation file M-038-007, Trinity - The Parish Hall

Character-Defining Elements

All those architectural features that speak to the age and vernacular design of the building as a parish meeting place, including:
-hip roof;
-number of storeys;
-narrow clapboard;
-corner boards;
-window size, style, trim and placement;
-size, style, trim and placement of exterior doors;
-location of tower on front facade;
-rounded trim on main doorway and associated arch;
-cupola on tower;
-arch vents and dentils on cupola;
-mock exposed beam detailing on exterior;
-signage reading “The Parish Hall” on the tower; and,
-dimension, location and orientation of building.



Newfoundland and Labrador

Recognition Authority

Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador

Recognition Statute

Historic Resources Act

Recognition Type

Registered Heritage Structure

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type



Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer



William Lockyer

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador 1 Springdale Street St. John's, NL A1C 5V5

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places