Home / Accueil

140 Water Street

140 Water Street, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, C1A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1979/10/26

Showing north west elevation; City of Charlottetown, Natalie Munn, 2005
140 Water Street / Lennox Nursing Home
Showing north elevation; City of Charlottetown, Natalie Munn, 2005
140 Water Street / Lennox Nursing Home
No Image

Other Name(s)

140 Water Street
Lennox Nursing Home
Duncan House

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2005/03/17

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

140 Water Street resides on the corner of Water and Prince Streets near the Charlottetown waterfront. Built in the 1840s it is an attractive two and a half storey Georgian inspired, former residence. The designation encompasses the building’s exterior and parcel; it does not include the building’s interior.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of 140 Water Street lies in its association with the shipbuilding industry in Prince Edward Island and its contribution to the streetscape.

Two prominent shipbuilders, Andrew and James Duncan, called this two and a half storey dwelling home in the 19th century. Andrew Duncan had purchased property from Theophilus Chappell Jr. in 1844 and a house was likely built on the site shortly after. We know there was a house on the property as early as 1847, due to fact that the residence was mentioned by witnesses in a trial concerning Election Day rioting. After Andrew Duncan left for England, the house was advertised for rent in 1852. By 1864, James Duncan was living in the home and remained a resident until 1879. The residence was conveniently located north of the Duncan wharves and shipyards where the largest ship ever produced on the Island, the Ethel, was built. The Ethel was over 1690 tonnes and launched from the port in 1878.

140 Water Street is one of the oldest buildings on the Water Street block. It was originally a family home to the Duncans but has changed hands a number of times. It was home to Dr. Hobkirk and later the Farquharson family who ran a boarding house from the site. Miss Gertrude Farquarson was listed as the proprietor of the Duncan House in 1900. However, with a new owner came a new name and in 1904, JJ Davies ran what he called the Plaza House. By 1909, the building was run by the Misses MacMillan who had named the building the Lennox House. Today it operates as a nursing home but still bears the name Lennox. One of the oldest buildings on the street, the building plays a major role in supporting the Water Street streetscape.

Sources: Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2

Character-Defining Elements

The following Georgian inspired character defining elements contribute to the heritage value of the building:

- The well proportioned symmetrical façade with its five bays on the first and second levels
- The placement of the windows and the centrally placed door
- The pitch of the gabled roof and placement of the chimney
- The pediment above the front door
- The location of the home on the corner of Water and Pownal Street
- The placement of the chimney



Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

City of Charlottetown

Recognition Statute

City of Charlottetown Zoning and Development Bylaw

Recognition Type

Heritage Resource

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce

Function - Category and Type


Health and Research
Hospital or Other Health Care Institution


Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2 #1258

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places