Provincial Court House
805 8th Avenue, Humboldt, Saskatchewan, S0K, Canada
Provincial Court House
Humboldt Court House and Land Titles Building
Links and documents
1914/01/01 to 1920/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Provincial Court House is a Municipal Heritage Property which occupies three urban lots on the corner of 8th Avenue and Main Street in Humboldt. The property features a two-storey stone-and-brick building constructed between 1914-1920.
The heritage value of the Provincial Court House in Humboldt lies in its architecture. Designed by provincial architect Raymond Philbrick, the Provincial Court House is only one of two provincial buildings constructed as a combined Court House and Land Titles building in Saskatchewan. Although construction began in 1914, the First World War slowed progress on the project and the building was not completed until 1920. By this time, new ideas regarding provincial buildings were being implemented by a new provincial architect and no further dual-use buildings of this type were constructed in Saskatchewan. Built in the Edwardian Classical style, the symmetrical appearance gives the Provincial Court House an impression of order and prestige, qualities benefiting the administration of justice. The exterior is clad in Claybank brick and Tyndall Stone, adding to the prestige of the building and offering an image of stability. A substantial structure in what was a small community at the time of construction, the building demonstrates the province's optimism in the future growth of Humboldt. Prominently situated on the corner of 8th Avenue and Main Street, the Provincial Court House is a landmark in Humboldt.
Town of Humboldt Bylaw No. 20/84.
The heritage value of the Provincial Court House resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements reflecting the Edwardian Classical architectural style, including the monumental proportions, the rounded-arch pediment, carved stone ornamentation, projecting metal cornice with mock supporting bracket details, the regular pattern of windows, the balustrades set within the pediment wall, the projecting bays at the ends of the building and the rusticated stone base;
-those interior fixtures that reflect the building's judicial function, including the carved coat of arms and signage above the exterior doorway and the large carved ornate panel behind the judge's bench;
-the building's prominent corner location on 8th Avenue and Main Street.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Governing Canada
- Security and Law
Function - Category and Type
- Courthouse and/or Registry Office
- Office or office building
Architect / Designer
Parsons Engineering Company
Location of Supporting Documentation
Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File: MHP 741
Cross-Reference to Collection