The Stone House
St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, A1A, Canada
Links and documents
1834/01/01 to 1835/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Stone House is a four storey stone building located at 008 Kenna's Hill, St. John's, NL. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
This building has been designated for its aesthetic and historical values.
008 Kenna’s Hill, the Stone House, is aesthetically valuable because it is a unique vernacular design made from stone. Built in 1834 by original owner Patrick Keough, this house is four stories tall. It has undergone several alterations to accommodate the various families who have lived there, one of which had 22 children. The building loosely resembles a saltbox style with an attached sunroom at the front. This glass enclosed space obscures the original main entrance but it is still visible from the interior. All the window openings are original in the house, as well as the floors and some of the panelling on the ground floor. The house is constructed of brick and stone, the front is of cut stone, probably imported from England. Each new addition to the house has been constructed in wood so that the original stone structure remains visible.
008 Kenna’s Hill, the Stone House, is historically valuable because of its association with Patrick Keough, builder and original owner. Keough was a noted builder who came to Newfoundland in 1829 to superintend the construction of Government House. He was also responsible for the construction of St. Thomas’ Church, Fort William and the Colonial Building. He served as an MHA for St. John’s in 1834, the same time that the Stone House was built, and was appointed to the Legislative Council in 1861. Keough’s descendants occupied the house throughout the latter half of the 19th century.
Source: City of St. John's Archives property file - 008 Kenna's Hill
All those elements that reflect the vernacular nature of the house, including:
-stone and brick construction;
-all original window openings, floors and panelling
-window fenestration; and
Newfoundland and Labrador
City of St. John's
City of St. John's Act
City of St. John's Heritage Building, Structure, Land or Area
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of St. John's Archives, 3rd Floor Railway Coastal Museum, 495 Water Street, P.O. Box 908, St. John's, NL A1C 5M2
Cross-Reference to Collection