Home / Accueil

Battle of the Châteauguay National Historic Site of Canada

2371 Rivière-Châteauguay-Nord, Allans Corners, Quebec, J0S, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1920/01/30

Battle of the Châteauguay National Historic Site of Canada; Parks Canada / Parcs Canada 1920
Exterior Photo
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

Battle of the Châteauguay National Historic Site of Canada
Battle of the Châteauguay
Bataille-de-la-Châteauguay
Bataille de la Châteauguay

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2005/07/18

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Battle of the Châteauguay National Historic Site of Canada is a small fragment of a War of 1812 battlefield located on the banks of the Châteauguay River at Allans's Corners in the municipality of Howick, near Ormstown, some 50 kilometres south-west of Montréal.

Heritage Value

Battle of the Châteauguay was declared a national historic site because it was the site of a Canadian victory on 26 October 1813, and because of the role French Canadian troops played in the defence of Canada against American invasion during the War of 1812.

The heritage value of Battle of the Châteauguay National Historic Site resides in its identity as a memorial remnant in the midst of the legible, relatively undisturbed cultural landscape of the battlefield which extends from the fork of the Châteauguay and Outardes Rivers to that of the Châteauguay and English, covering an area of about 500 acres. The centre of the battlefield was located between Morrison Ford and Round Point.

Source: HSMBC Minute, 1977 and 1997; Commemorative Integrity Statement

Character-Defining Elements

Aspects of this site which contribute to its heritage values include:
- the landscape as tangible link with the historic battlefield,
- the viewscapes between the battlefield and the river,
- the numerous small streams flowing into the Chateauguay River used by de Salaberry as defensive positions,
- the trace of the wagon trail used by the American soldiers,
- archaeological remains related to the battle (the blinds, the blockhouse, the trenches, ford defences, and logistical installations),
- the commemorative monument and plaque erected by the Canadian government in 1895.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Federal

Recognition Authority

Government of Canada

Recognition Statute

Historic Sites and Monuments Act

Recognition Type

National Historic Site of Canada

Recognition Date

1920/01/30

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1813/01/01 to 1813/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Governing Canada
Military and Defence

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Defence
Battle Site

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

589

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places