Home / Accueil

St. Hubert's Church and Cemetery

St. Hubert Road, Silverwood RM 123, Saskatchewan, S0G, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1990/06/13

Front elevation of Church, 2005; Government of Saskatchewan, Brett Quiring, 2005.
St. Hubert's Church and Cemetery
Cemetery, South elevation, 2005; Government of Saskatchewan, Brett Quiring, 2005.
St. Hubert's Church and Cemetery
No Image

Other Name(s)

St. Hubert's Church and Cemetery
St. Hubert's Roman Catholic Church
St. Hubert's Mission

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1935/01/01 to 1935/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2005/08/10

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

St. Hubert’s Church and Cemetery is a Municipal Heritage Property located within the Rural Municipality of Silverwood No. 123, approximately 17 km southwest of the Town of Whitewood. The property features a one-storey church built in 1935 and a cemetery established in 1903.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of St. Hubert’s Cemetery lies in its age and connection to the first settlers in the area. The area was settled by a group of French and Belgian aristocrats, collectively referred to as "the Counts", who came to Saskatchewan to escape adverse conditions in their native countries. While the economic ventures of the Counts in Saskatchewan proved unsuccessful, causing their return to Europe, many of their employees and followers remained in the district and established the community of St. Hubert. A number of these settlers are buried in the cemetery, providing a link between the area’s current residents and their forbears.

The heritage value of the property also lies in its architecture. The church was constructed in 1935 after an earlier church was lost to fire. The church displays the influence of the Gothic Revival style common to rural churches of the period. This influence can be observed in the pointed archway and window, central bell tower and tall vertical proportions.

The heritage value of the property also lies in its use as a centre of religious worship. The property was once part of a large Roman Catholic complex, which included the St. Joan of Arc Care Home, a rectory and hall. Most of the other buildings have been removed and the church stands as the last active building in the complex.

Source:

Rural Municipality of Silverwood No. 123 Bylaw No. 71.

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of St. Hubert’s Church and Cemetery resides in the following character-defining elements:
-the Gothic Revival-inspired architectural elements of the church, including the pointed arches, central bell tower and tall vertical proportions of the building;
-the church’s simple form and massing;
-those elements that reflect the property’s religious purpose, including the religious symbols and statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary;
-the property’s location on its original site.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Saskatchewan

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date

1990/06/13

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Peopling the Land
Settlement

Function - Category and Type

Current

Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure
Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Historic

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation Heritage Resources Branch 1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK File: MHP 1371

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 1371

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places