Trinity United Church Manse
220 Richmond Street, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, C1A, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Trinity United Church Manse is a brick Romanesque Revival influenced home, located next to Trinity United Church, Charlottetown’s oldest building still being used as a church. The designation encompasses the building’s exterior and parcel; it does not include the building’s interior.
The heritage value of Trinity United Church Manse lies in its association with the Methodist and United Church community of Charlottetown, its Romanesque Revival influenced style, and its importance to the Richmond Street streetscape.
The Wesleyans, or Methodists, had established a presence on Prince Edward Island in the late 1700s. They met in private homes until 1813, when they built their first chapel on the north side of Richmond Street, between Queen and Pownal Streets. They ceased meeting in this chapel in approximately 1835, when they built a new chapel on the corner of Prince and Richmond Streets. Because of a rapidly increasing membership, the chapel was enlarged twice in 1840 and 1847.
Due to various revivals throughout the next decades, the congregation continued to grow in size and it soon became apparent that a new church was required. In 1863-1864, the congregation built the current Trinity United Church along the south side of the wooden chapel. It was a much larger, brick building that would seat 1200. This church was originally named the First Methodist Church, however after the Methodist Church became part of the United Church of Canada in 1925, the church was renamed Trinity United Church. Despite various renovations, Trinity United Church stands out as the oldest church building in Charlottetown still being used for worship.
The parsonage for Trinity United Church was originally located on the north side of the church. However, when the Board of Trustees received an offer from the Heartz family to build a Sunday school in honour of Benjamin Heartz, they determined that the best place to erect the building was next to the church where the parsonage was located. It was decided that instead of moving the parsonage, a new manse would be erected on the lot directly east, using the old parsonage’s materials. The new building was designed by Charlottetown architect, Charles B. Chappell. The congregation accepted the tender of $2625.00 offered by the builder, B.D. Huntley, and the Manse was completed in August 1910. The 7 December 1910 issue of the Daily Examiner newspaper described the Manse as having hot water heating and every modern convenience. The article mentions Mr. D. Howlett “giving it the finishing touches”. The first occupant of the house was the Reverend Herbert E. Thomas who served there from 1907-1911. The Manse is still used by the church to this day. As a well preserved example of a brick Romanesque Revival influenced home in Charlottetown, the Trinity United Church Manse has many round arch windows with decorative key stones, moulding, and sills.
A source of pride to the congregation of Trinity United Church, the Manse is an attractive and well-maintained building. It is a unique building and contributes a great deal to the Richmond street streetscape.
Sources: Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
The following Romanesque Revival inspired character-defining elements illustrate the heritage value of Trinity United Church Manse:
- The overall massing of the building and its assymetrical design
- The building’s brick construction
- The style and placement of the round headed windows, especially the architrave window with keystone
- The bay windows
- The style and placement of the doors
- The beautiful wooden verandah on the north west side of the building with its round arches and balustrade
- The multiple gables of the roof
- The bargeboards of the roof
- The style and placement of the chimney
Other character-defining elements of Trinity United Church Manse:
- The location of the building near Trinity United Church
- The Manse’s continued association with Trinity United Church
Prince Edward Island
City of Charlottetown
City of Charlottetown Zoning and Development Bylaw
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
Cross-Reference to Collection