Description of Historic Place
The Administration Building No. 24 is part of a group of military school structures at the Collège Militaire Royal. The solid brick building is a multi-windowed, two-storey, rectangular structure with a hip roof. The classically-inspired main façade has two symmetrically placed, recessed, pedimented entrance bays, and a roofline broken by two small pediments near the center. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Administration Building No. 24 is a recognized Federal Heritage Building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental value.
The Administration Building No. 24 is closely associated with the reorganization of the militia in 1936 and represents the integration of French Canadians into the armed forces. The building was constructed as an administrative centre for the Department of National Defence’s military complex at St. Jean in 1937 and continued in this capacity when Collège Militaire Royal, the first bilingual college, was established on the site in 1952.
The Administration Building No. 24 is valued for its very good, classically-inspired aesthetic design as demonstrated in the formal symmetry and decoration of the front (east) façade. Also a very good functionally-oriented design, the building’s interior layout speaks to its administrative role. The building materials, such as the brick for the walls, the concrete for the raised basement and the stone for the window sills are of very good quality.
The Administration Building No. 24 reinforces the present character of its military school setting at Collège Militaire Royal. The building is well-known to those who live and work in or frequent the complex.
Joanna H. Doherty, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Québec, Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office, Building Report, 88-175.
Museum Building (#26) and Administration Building (#24), Collège Militaire Royal, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Québec, Heritage Character Statement, 88-175.
The character-defining elements of the Administration Building No. 24 should be respected, for example:
Its very good classically-inspired aesthetic design, very good functional design and fine quality materials and craftsmanship, for example:
-The two-storey, rectangular, symmetrical massing and hip roof.
-The main (east) façade with two symmetrically positioned, recessed and pedimented entrance bays, with a roofline broken by two small pediments near the centre, and the plain, west façade.
-The two symmetrically positioned entrances and symmetrical pattern of window openings.
-The surviving interior layout, main circulation pattern and partitioning.
-The masonry work and materials, including the brick walls, the stone for the windowsills, and the concrete for the raised basement.
-The interior finishes, such as the terrazzo floors and terra cotta walls.
The manner in which the Administration Building No. 24 reinforces the present character of its military school setting and is a well-known building, as evidenced by:
-Its classically-inspired design and materials which complement three buildings of similar scale and style facing onto a square, and which harmonizes with the surrounding military school structures at the complex.
-Its familiarity to staff, students and visitors, given its role as an administrative centre for the institution.