Home / Accueil

St. Alban's Anglican Church

302 1st Avenue South, Pelly, Saskatchewan, S0A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1994/11/23

Front Elevation of St. Alban's Anglican Church and the nearby Bell Tower; Government of Saskatchewan, Michael Thome, 2005.
Front Elevation of Church and Bell Tower
Rear Elevation of St. Alban's Anglican Church; Government of Saskatchewan, Michael Thome, 2005.
Rear Elevation of Church
The Sanctuary and a portion of the Nave of St. Alban's Anglican Church; Government of Saskatchewan, Michael Thome, 2005.
Sanctuary of St. Alban's Anglican Church

Other Name(s)

St. Alban's Anglican Church
Midhurst School

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1907/01/01 to 1907/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2006/02/17

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

St. Alban’s Anglican Church is a Municipal Heritage Property located on a corner lot within the Village of Pelly. The property features a single storey wood-frame building and freestanding belfry.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of St. Alban’s Anglican Church lies in its association with the Anglican parish. The local Anglican congregation began conducting Sunday service in the building then know as Midhurst School around 1908. The building was moved to Pelly in 1909 and located on the school grounds. In 1910 the parish purchased the building and moved it across the street to its present site. The building was subsequently dedicated and decorated by the parishioners. A simple freestanding bell tower was built near the entrance. Although weekly services ceased in the 1980’s, the building is still occasionally used and remains a landmark in the community.

The heritage value of St. Alban’s Anglican Church also resides in its vernacular architecture. This building was constructed in 1907 by the Midhurst School District #1530. In 1909, the building was moved to Pelly and the interior was remodelled. The simple, two-room design is typical of period schoolhouses and exemplary of wood-frame construction. Several of the fixtures in the sanctuary, such as the pulpit and communion rail, were donated by members of the community.

Source:

Village of Pelly Bylaw No. 5-94.

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of St. Alban’s Anglican Church resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements reflecting its use as an Anglican church, such as the large room used as a gathering space, the pulpit, the communion rail and the bell tower;
-those elements reflecting its vernacular architecture, such as its wood-frame construction.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Saskatchewan

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date

1994/11/23

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Education
One-Room School
Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation Heritage Resources Branch 1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK File: MHP 1664

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 1664

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places