683 King George Highway, Miramichi, New Brunswick, E1V, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Sitting on a well-manicured property, Ritchie House is located at 683 King George Highway in Miramichi. This Second Empire house was the residence of several prominent Miramichi citizens including the Hon. Allan J. Ritchie.
Ritchie House with its horseshoe drive shaded by mature mixed-wood trees on a shallow front lawn is designated as a Local Historic Place because of the Second Empire architecture of the house and the significant impact of longtime owner, Hon. Allan J. Ritchie, on the economy of the Newcastle area. The residence was built in 1881 by architect and contractor George Brown of Newcastle.
A Scottish emigrant, Allan Ritchie entered the family lumber export business and led the company to become Newcastle's largest mill owner and shipper of lumber to supply overseas trade prior to the end of the 1800's. His firm was also one of the first to locally introduce money as payment to its workers as opposed to a voucher system. Allan Ritchie was involved in provincial and municipal politics as a member of the New Brunswick Legislative Council for two years until its abolishment and as the first mayor of Newcastle.
Source: City of Miramichi, Heritage Office Site File# 04-06.
The character-defining elements relating to the Ritchie House architecture include:
- horseshoe drive shaded by mature mixed-wood trees on a shallow front lawn;
- two-storey with mansard roof;
- second-storey projecting 3-window bay featured above the central double glass door entrance leading into the vestibule;
- front and side verandahs with evenly spaced ornate posts with scrolled brackets;
- dormers with plain entablatures;
- eaves with heavy plain cornice work.
Local Governments (NB)
Community Planning Act
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Governing Canada
- Politics and Political Processes
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Miramichi, Heritage Office Site File # 04-06
Cross-Reference to Collection