Home / Accueil

Honourable Charles Connell House

128 Connell Street, Woodstock, New Brunswick, E7M, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2005/06/01

View of the façade and Main Street side of the Honourable Charles Connell House.; Carleton County Historical Society
Hon. Charles Connell House
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

Honourable Charles Connell House
Connell House
Connell House Museum

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1839/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2006/03/14

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Honourable Charles Connell House is a large white clapboard and shingle Greek Revival building on an elevated lot on Connell Street in Woodstock. It was built in 1839. The house and grounds are included in the description of this historic place.

Heritage Value

Honourable Charles Connell House is designated a local historic place because it represents the peak of classicism in Woodstock architecture. The house mimics a Greek temple in both its situation and design. The grounds facing Main Street, including the newly reconstructed balustrade, enhance the Greek Temple look. The remains of the former greenhouse can be seen at the rear of the building.

Honourable Charles Connell House is also designated for the contribution of Charles Connell in the history of the town and the province. He was active in all three levels of politics, including a term as Postmaster of New Brunswick. A large plaque placed by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada recognizes the building as a national historic site. The Honourable Charles Connell House was purchased by the Carleton County Historical Society in 1975 and has been home to the organization since that year.

Source: Carleton County Historical Society, Heritage Places File #2.

Character-Defining Elements

The character- defining elements of the exterior of the building associated with Greek Revival architecture including:
- symmetrical facade;
- fluted Doric columns of the portico;
- wooden trim including pediment in gable, surrounds, shutters and dentils;
- main entrance details including fanlight, sidelights, transom and door surround;
- windows and surrounds in pediments, clapboard and shingles.

Character defining elements of the interior associated with Greek Revival architecture including:
- some original doors and door surrounds;
- some original window shutters;
- some original floorboards;
- some original mouldings;
- fireplaces.

The character- defining elements defining the grounds including:
- remains of greenhouse at rear;
- reconstructed wooden balustrade;
- granite steps leading to portico;
- large lawn facing Main Street;
- location on Connell Street;
- plaque placed by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Community Planning Act

Recognition Type

Local Register

Recognition Date

2005/06/01

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1975/01/01 to 1975/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Community Organizations
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Leisure
Museum
Community
Social, Benevolent or Fraternal Club
Community
Commemorative Monument

Historic

Residence
Multiple Dwelling
Residence
Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Carleton County Historical Society Local Historic Places File #2.

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

423

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places