Description of Historic Place
1 Grafton Street, or Caroma Lodge and the Cottage, as it was once known, is a wood framed home that shows influences of the Queen Anne Revival style. It sits on the corner of Grafton and West Streets. The home was designed by renowned Island architect, William Critchlow Harris for the prominent businessman, Frank Richard Heartz. The designation encompasses the building's exterior and parcel; it does not include the building's interior.
The heritage value of 1 Grafton Street lies in its association with various prominent Charlottetown citizens; its beautiful Queen Anne Revival influenced architecture; and its role in supporting the Grafton and West Street streetscapes.
The Heartz Family were Loyalists that came to Prince Edward Island from the United States. A descendant of the family, Frank Richard Heartz was a successful banker, business director and rancher. Active politically, he ran unsuccessfully for the district of 1st Kings in 1909. Heartz was later appointed Lieutenant Governor on 8 September 1924 and served until 29 November 1930.
The prominent architect, William Critchlow Harris was hired to design 1 Grafton Street and contractor Charles McGregor was hired to build it. It was constructed in 1894, in time for Frank Richard Heartz's marriage the following year. It is thought that the home was a wedding present from his parents.
A later resident of 1 Grafton Street was the Hon. John Alexander Mathieson, Chief Justice and Premier of Prince Edward Island. He purchased the home in 1914 and lived there for a time. A lawyer for many years, Mathieson practised law in Georgetown before moving to Charlottetown, where he entered into a partnership with Aeneas A. MacDonald and James D. Stewart. After serving the districts of 4th and 5th Kings for many years, he was made Premier of Prince Edward Island in 1911. Mathieson remained Premier until 1917 when he was appointed Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Prince Edward Island.
In later years, the daughters of Mathieson, Mrs. Campbell and Mrs. Rogers, made the cottage into a guest home. Using the first letters of each other's last name to create a name for their venture; they named it Caroma Lodge.
The beautiful "cottage" was typical of Harris' designs. It was influenced by the Queen Anne Revival style, a style that was somewhat subdued in Charlottetown compared with other provinces. It was a popular style in Charlottetown from approximately 1880 until 1910. Richard N. Shaw (1831-1912), a British architect, created the style that incorporated some of the classical motifs popular during Queen Anne's reign (1702-1714). Features of the style include asymmetrical designs, various rooflines, porches and complex details. 1 Grafton Street exhibits all of the above features
Located on the corner of West Street and Grafton Street; the elaborate and well preserved home helps support the streetscapes.
Sources: Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
The following Queen Anne Revival influenced character-defining elements illustrate the heritage value of 1 Grafton Street:
- The asymmetrical massing of the home and its wood construction
- The gabled roofline
- The details such as the sunbursts in the gables, the mouldings, and the various siding choices including fish scale and board and batten
- The large verandah with its arches with holes drilled through, the treillage and balustrade.
- The various sizes and placement of the windows, including the paired and grouped windows. The arched windows of the south east and the west side, second floor
- The size and placement of the doors, including the door of the south side with its round window and the door that has been added next to it.
- The size and shape of the chimney
Other character-defining elements of 1 Grafton Street include:
- The location of the home on the corner of West Street and Grafton Street on a treed lot