Stanhope by the Sea
Point Pleasant Hotel
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Stanhope by the Sea Resort has been providing tourist accomodation in PEI since the 1870s. Located on a point of land near Covehead Bay on landscaped grounds with access to excellent beaches, the property has many beautiful sea vistas. The original Gable-Ell style farm house has been enlarged many times in its history. The registration includes the original Gable-Ell style house.
Stanhope by the Sea is valued for its association with the development of the tourism industry in PEI; for the Gable-Ell style construction of the original house; and for its contribution to the surrounding community of Stanhope. The first building to be on the site was a crude log house constructed in 1789 by Cornelius and Isabelle Higgins.
In 1855, the property was owned by Angus MacMillan who built a new house on the site which he called "Pleasant View". MacMillan incorporated the former Higgins' log cabin into his new structure. An 1880 engraving of the property shows the architectural style as an extended Gable-Ell design. MacMillan opened his home as the Point Pleasant Hotel in June 1878. The Charlottetown Patriot newspaper said his hotel could "board some 25 people" who could enjoy "surf bathing, fishing and shooting... unequalled in the Dominion" all at moderate prices. This was one of the first resort hotels in the province which promoted these activities to tourists.
By the 1920s, the hotel was known as Stanhope by the Sea and it now had been expanded to include a ball room, billiard room, smoking room, sitting room, and tennis courts. Guests often arrived by train at York station and took a horse and buggy, and later a car, to the hotel.
Today, the original MacMillan hotel has been modified with many additions, as the resort complex has many guest rooms with modern amenities.
Source: PEI Heritage Advisory Committee Files
The following Gable-Ell style character-defining elements were part of the original MacMillan house and are now incorporated into the Stanhope by the Sea complex:
- the overall massing of the wood frame building with two storeys
- the gable roofs of the Gable-Ell design
- the three roof dormers arranged across the gable roof with the middle dormer being slightly larger in scale than the others
- the verandah extending along the front elevation and around the side elevation
- the fenestration of the windows and main entrance door
- the location of the building near Covehead Bay
Prince Edward Island
Province of Prince Edward Island
Heritage Places Protection Act
Registered Historic Place
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Hotel, Motel or Inn
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Located in the Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Community and Cultural Affairs, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/S11
Cross-Reference to Collection