Home / Accueil

Highfield Street United Baptist Church

290 St. George Street, Moncton , New Brunswick, E1C, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2005/03/21

The Highfield Street United Baptist Church sits on the southeast corner of St. George Street and Highfield Street.; Moncton Museum
Highfield Street United Baptist Church - 2005
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

Highfield Street United Baptist Church
West End United Baptist Church
Highfield Street Church
Église de la rue Highfield
Moncton Christian Free and Baptist Church
Église chrétien libre et baptiste

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2006/06/21

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Highfield Street United Baptist Church is located at corner St George Street and Highfield Street in Moncton. It consists of an orange brick English Gothic and Greek designed church with contrasting off-white quoins and trims with a prominent square bell tower.

Heritage Value

Highfield Street United Baptist Church is designated a Local Historic Place for its unique blend of English Gothic and Greek architectural designs. It is also recognized for being one of Moncton’s oldest religious organizations.

The church was designed by architect Leslie G. Fairn of Aylesford, Nova Scotia. It was built by Rhodes and Curry Company of Amherst, N. S between 1922 and 1923. In 1953, the Youth Centre was added to the north side of the building. The accurate reproduction of detail by Modern Construction Company created a seamless integration with the existing structure.

The use of orange brick, contrasting light-coloured quoins and trim and a prominent bell tower insured its place as an irreplaceable feature of St. George Street’s streetscape. The use of Gothic tracery, gabled pediments and parapets contrast the smooth contours of Roman arch openings and also help to break up the brick wall construction. The coffer paneled education room on the south side can be opened to expand the seating capacity and to allow extra natural light in through its clearstory windows.

Highfield Street United Baptist Church is also designated for its association with one of Moncton’s oldest religious organizations. In 1877, a congregation of 21 members formed the nucleus of what would become the Moncton Christian Free and Baptist Church later called the West End United Baptist Church. Their first church, after humble beginnings at the Free Meeting House and the Temperance Hall, was built on this site in 1878. By 1922, the congregation had outgrown its facilities, so the original church was razed to make way for the current structure. Rev. Dr. E. W. Patterson, president of Acadia University, dedicated the new church in 1923.

Source: Moncton Museum, Moncton, New Brunswick - second floor files – “290 St. George St. - Highfield Street United Baptist Church”.

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements relating to location and context include:
- erected on site of previous wooden church.

The character-defining elements relating to the exterior elements of the structure include:
- east-west cruciform layout;
- brick walls;
- square bell tower with paired Roman arch windows and continuous hood moulding;
- main entrance in bell tower;
- single, paired, triple rectangular 4 over 1 double hung windows;
- capped buttresses;
- quoins on door and window openings;
- canted slip sills and lintels;
- steeply pitched gable roofs;
- Roman arch tripartite window on west façade and north transept with continuous segmented arch dripstone trim and spandrel panels;
- stepped parapets;
- gabled porticos with label moulding over quoined brick pilasters with carved capitals;
- Roman arch door openings with tracery in shaped transoms and trefoil panels in spandrels;
- paired Roman arch windows with trefoil tracery;
- moulded eaves;
- smooth stringcourses;
- black granite cornerstone: “Highfield Street United Baptist Church 1922”.

The character-defining elements relating to the interior elements of the structure include:
- oak-stained Douglas fir woodwork;
- iconographic and memorial stained glass windows throughout;
- square paired and triple pilasters under vaulted ceiling with crests carved onto capitals;
- corbel brackets supporting decorative moulded Roman arch;
- original curved pews with quatrefoil carvings on ends;
- coffered and lath balconies;
- brass pipe organ;
- lozenge window glazing;
- stairway with balustrade, square newel posts and pendants;
- rectangular tripartite clearstory windows;
- panel doors.



New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Community Planning Act

Recognition Type

Local Register

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1877/01/01 to 1877/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type


Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship


Architect / Designer

Leslie R. Fairn


Rhodes and Curry Company

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Moncton Museum, 20 Mountain Road, Moncton, New Brunswick

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places