Home / Accueil

St. John Evangelist Anglican Church

388 LaHave Islands Road; Bell Island, LaHave Island, Nova Scotia, B0J, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1997/09/30

Side elevation showing main entrance, which faces the water,  St. John Evangelist Anglican Church, Bell Island, LaHave Islands, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, 2006.; Heritage Division, Nova Scotia Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, 2006
Side Elevation
Rear elevation, St. John Evangelist Anglican Church, Bell Island, LaHave Islands, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, 2006.; Heritage Division, Nova Scotia Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, 2006
Rear Elevation
Front elevation, St. John Evangelist Anglican Church, Bell Island, LaHave Islands, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, 2006.; Heritage Divisions, Nova Scotia Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, 2006
Front Elevation

Other Name(s)

n/a

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1903/01/01 to 1903/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2006/07/21

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Built in 1903, St. John Evangelist Anglican Church is a modest Victorian Gothic Revival building located on Bell Island in the LaHave Islands of Nova Scotia. The church rests on a small knoll with the main entrance facing the water. The Municipal Heritage Designation applies to the building and building footprint.

Heritage Value

Opened for service in 1903 and consecrated in 1908, St. John Evangelist Anglican Church was built by local carpenter Thomas A. Hemeon, who is also credited with building five other Lunenburg County churches.

St. John Evangelist Anglican Church is valued for its Gothic Revival and Queen Anne architectural features. The design of the building demonstrates the commitment of a small, rural congregation to build a place of worship that was both functional and aesthetically pleasing, making it a pinnacle within the community.

The church is also valued for its historical and social associations, as it stands as a testament to the community’s marine heritage. The majority of the congregation was involved in the local fishery and traveled to the church via the water; thus the main entrance of the church faces the water, not the road that was not built until 1978, a year after the congregation had disbanded. Although regular services ceased in 1977 the church continues to be important to its community as part of a museum complex operated by the LaHave Islands Marine Museum Society.

Source: Municipality of the District of Lunenburg, Heritage Property Book 1, Site 1 St. John Evangelist Anglican Church

Character-Defining Elements

Character-defining elements of St. John Evangelist Anglican Church relate to its use as a marine access church and include:

- main entrance facing the water;
- location on small knoll overlooking ocean.

Character-defining elements of St. John Evangelist Anglican Church relate to its Gothic Revival and Queen Anne architecture and include:

- central Gothic window with tracery over main entrance;
- wooden clapboard and corner board construction;
- original stone foundation;
- cross gabled steeply pitched roof;
- finial on gable over main entrance;
- double hung paneled door for main entrance;
- Gothic inspired arched stained glass windows;
- all remaining interior elements related to its original use as a church.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Nova Scotia

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NS)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act

Recognition Type

Municipally Registered Property

Recognition Date

1997/09/30

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type

Current

Leisure
Museum
Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Historic

Architect / Designer

Hemeon, Thomas Arthur

Builder

Hemeon, Thomas Arthur

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Municipal Heritage Properties Book 1 Site 1, Planning Library, Municipality of the District of Lunenburg, 210 Aberdeen Rd, Bridgewater NS, B4V 4G8

Cross-Reference to Collection

Records and some artifacts from St. John Evangelist Anglican Church are held at the LaHave Islands Marine Museum, which also holds a 99 year lease for St. John Evangelist Anglican Church as part of the museum collection. The museum is located at 100 LaHave Islands Road, LaHave Islands, Lunenburg County, NS.

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

35MNS0001

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places