Home / Accueil

Fort Pelly-Livingstone Museum

First Avenue South, Pelly, Saskatchewan, S0A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1984/10/04

View of former school at Fort Pelly-Livingstone Museum featuring the front facade, 2005.; Government of Saskatchewan, Michael Thome, 2005.
Former school building
View of the railway station Fort Pelly-Livingstone Museum featuring the fromer trackside facade, 2005.; Government of Saskatchewan, Michael Thome, 2005.
Railway station at the museum
No Image

Other Name(s)

Fort Pelly-Livingstone Museum
Canadian Northern Station

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1912/01/01 to 1923/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2006/08/17

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Fort Pelly-Livingstone Museum is a Municipal Heritage Property situated on a spacious lot in the Village of Pelly. The property features a two-storey brick building completed in 1912 and a wood-frame railway station that was moved to the site in 1979.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of the Fort Pelly-Livingstone Museum resides in its long association with public education. Completed in 1912, the village’s only public school occupied the building until moving to a new facility in 1967. Acquired by the Village in 1970, it has since housed the Fort Pelly Livingstone Museum. In 1979, the Museum acquired the Pelly railway station and moved it to its current site. Constructed by the Canadian Northern Railway in 1909, this third class railway station is used as an educational resource that emphasises the importance of the railway system to the development of Pelly.

The heritage value of the Fort Pelly-Livingstone Museum also lies in its design and Georgian Revival architecture. Prior to 1914, it was common for the design of even modest public buildings to express a sense of grandeur. The Midhurst School District #1530 constructed this school in 1912. The addition of the east wing in 1923 added to the Georgian character of the building by enhancing the symmetry of the façade.

Source:

Village of Pelly Bylaw No. 7-84.

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the Fort Pelly-Livingstone Museum resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that embody the building's association with public education, such as the interior floor plan, the cloakroom, the blackboard, the fire escape and the buildings orientation on its original lot;
-those elements embodying the building’s Georgian Revival architecture, such as the size, symmetrical massing, projecting central portion of the façade, roofline, pediment, dormers, hip roof, projecting eaves, decorative columns, the segmented double-hung windows including the fanlight;
-those elements necessary to preserve the historical integrity of the railway station, such as its roofline, doors and window arrangements, projecting eaves with brackets, signboard.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Saskatchewan

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date

1984/10/04

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Education and Social Well-Being

Function - Category and Type

Current

Leisure
Museum

Historic

Education
Primary or Secondary School
Transport-Rail
Station or Other Rail Facility

Architect / Designer

Bossons, J.H.

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation Heritage Resources Branch 1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK File: MHP 746

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 746

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places