St. Paul's Cathedral
St. Paul's Anglican Cathedral
St. Paul's Anglican Church
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
St. Paul’s Cathedral is a Municipal Heritage Property occupying approximately three-and-a-half lots in Regina’s downtown core. The property features a 1½-storey stone church and attached hall prominently located at 1861 McIntyre Street.
The heritage value of St. Paul’s Cathedral lies in its association with the history of the Church of England's Diocese of Qu’Appelle. Constructed in 1894 by Reilly and Company, this church replaced the first St. Paul’s church built in 1883. As Regina grew, St. Paul’s continually hosted diocesan synods, ordinations, and memorial services for public figures. In 1944 the church was named Pro-Cathedral for the Diocese. As membership grew, it became necessary to build a new parish hall. Completed in 1957, the parish hall houses an auditorium, kitchen, the Dean’s office, and rooms for Sunday School. Elevated to Cathedral status in 1973, St. Paul’s Anglican Church continues to be the centre of its diocese. As the oldest place of worship in Regina, the Cathedral is a landmark in the community.
The heritage value of St. Paul’s Cathedral also lies in its Gothic Revival architecture. The church incorporates several Gothic Revival elements, such as a corner bell tower, a four-sided spire topped with a pinnacle, pointed arch-windows decorated with stained-glass, buttresses and a gable roof. These elements were synonymous with large Anglican churches built in Canada and England during this period.
The City of Regina Bylaw No. 7159.
The heritage value of St. Paul’s Cathedral resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements of the property that reflect its status as one of oldest buildings in Regina’s downtown area, such as its orientation on its original site;
-those elements of the property that speak to its position as a landmark in the community, such as its towering steeple;
-those elements of the property that reflect its Gothic Reviva- style architecture, such as the corner bell tower, four-sided spire topped with a pinnacle, pointed arch-windows, decorative stained glass, stone and brick consturction and gable roof.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
1944/01/01 to 1973/12/31
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Peters, Frank H.
Reilly and Company Construction Firm
Location of Supporting Documentation
Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation, Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive, Regina
File: MHP 426
Cross-Reference to Collection