Home / Accueil

DREWRY HOUSE

near Cowley, Alberta, T0K, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1993/07/23

Drewry House Provincial Historic Resource, near Cowley (April 2005); Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, 2005
West elevation
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

DREWRY HOUSE
Drewry Ranch
Reners' Farmstead
Reners' Farmhouse
Glen Ranche
Drewry/Rener Ranch House
Drewry/Rener House

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1910/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2006/09/06

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Drewry House is an early twentieth century, two-storey building situated on 1.12 hectares on the north bank of the Crowsnest River near Cowley. Constructed of locally quarried, rough-faced sandstone, it features a hipped roof, plain exterior, and window bays on the west and south facades.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of the Drewry House lies in its long association with southern Alberta's ranching and farming life and its fine representation of a rural Alberta sandstone ranch home.

The land on which the Drewry House sits was given by the Dominion government to the Calgary and Edmonton Land Company in 1905. In the same year, John Climie Drewry, a former "Globe and Mail" journalist with interests in British Columbia mines, abandoned Toronto and headed west, arriving in the Cowley area. Four years later, Drewry purchased this property from the land company and founded the Glen Ranche, an enterprise specializing in raising Percheron horses and purebred Holstein cattle. At the time of its establishment, the Glen Ranche represented a relatively late addition to a ranching frontier already in decline due to the end of the grazing lease system and the influx of homesteaders. From his acquisition of the ranch until his death in 1914, Drewry was an integral part of the economic and social life of the area. One of the largest landowners in the region, he was also the President of the Percheron Horse Breeders Association and a member of other stock associations. After Drewry's death, the ranch was taken over by his brother, Andrew, and his sister, Mary Burnham Drewry, both of whom had accompanied him from central Canada to Alberta. It subsequently passed into the hands of the Netherlands Investment Company in 1927 before being acquired by farmers Edward Alfred Percevault and Frank Joseph Piazola in 1943. The site served as a farm for three decades before being sold to Reners' Farm Limited in 1972. Through its association with prominent local rancher J.C. Drewry and its connection to ranch and farm operations near Cowley, the Drewry House provides a vital link to the continuing social and economic traditions of southern Alberta.

The Drewry House is a rare example of a rural Alberta stone residence. Constructed in 1910, the home was erected by local stonemasons Tom Iredale and William Lighthart using locally quarried sandstone. The sandstone facade is composed of semi-coursed, irregularly shaped sandstone blocks. The exterior is almost completely unembellished and the design is plain, featuring an irregular fenestration pattern, stone lintels and sills, and window bays on the south and west facades. The overall appearance of the Drewry House suggests the influence of the English stone building tradition. The interior of the home is far more ornate, with pressed tin ceilings and beautiful woodwork in the mouldings and staircases. The rustic exterior and bucolic setting of the home amidst the panoramic beauty of the Cowley area imbues the Drewry House with an air of romantic pastoralism, while the more ornate interior expresses a more urban, sophisticated aesthetic - an ideal union for a former central Canadian journalist turned western rancher.

Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch (File: Des. 1720)

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements of the Drewry House include such features as:
- rural location;
- mass, form, and style;
- hipped roof;
- semi-coursed, rough-faced sandstone facade;
- stone lintels, sills, and quoins;
- window bays on south and west facades;
- fenestration pattern and style, including double sash windows;
- pressed tin ceilings;
- original interior elements, including mouldings, trims, doors, staircases, fittings and fixtures.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Alberta

Recognition Authority

Province of Alberta

Recognition Statute

Historical Resources Act

Recognition Type

Provincial Historic Resource

Recognition Date

1993/07/23

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Extraction and Production
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Residence
Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

William Lighthart

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, Old St. Stephen's College, 8820 - 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2P8 (File: Des. 1720)

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

4665-0533

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places