Home / Accueil

8-10-12-14 Orlebar Street / Woodlawn

8-10-12-14 Orlebar Street, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, C1A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1999/07/01

Showing south east elevation; City of Charlottetown, Natalie Munn, 2006
Showing south west elevation; City of Charlottetown, Natalie Munn, 2006
Showing property when owned by Captain John Orlebar, c. 1860; PARO PEI Acc 3466 / HF74.27.3.81
Orlebar House

Other Name(s)

8-10-12-14 Orlebar Street / Woodlawn
Orlebar House

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2007/01/18

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Woodlawn is a wood framed, Georgian inspired, two and one half storey former residence. It has been converted into apartments and has lost a number of its original characteristics but retains the gable roof and balanced facade of a Georgian home. The designation encompasses the building's exterior and parcel; it does not include the building's interior.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of Woodlawn lies in its association with various prominent Charlottetown residents and its role in supporting the Orlebar Street streetscape.

Woodlawn was originally constructed for Captain John Orlebar (1810-1891) in the early 1840s. Orlebar began his career in the Royal Navy in 1824 as a midshipman. In 1836, he was appointed assistant to Admiral Henry Wolsey Bayfield, who was engaged in the hydrographic survey of the St. Lawrence River and the east coast of British North America. Orlebar would replace the Admiral when he retired. When Admiral Bayfield's family moved from Quebec to Charlottetown in 1841, the Orlebars' followed and set up their residence in the City as well.

While living in Charlottetown, Orlebar became involved in helping those less fortunate of his community. Some of the societies he served included the Temperance Society, the YMCA and the Colonial School and Church Society. He was a Sunday school teacher at St. Paul's Anglican Church and was instrumental in establishing the first free schools on the Island, one of which was the Bog School located in the poorest area of Charlottetown. Orlebar would eventually move back to England and died there in 1891.

The home was put up for sale in 1869 and in 1870, Hon. James Colledge Pope became the owner. His father, Joseph Pope (1803-1895) lived at the residence, which was now referred to as Woodlawn. It is not clear if the Orlebar family used the Woodlawn name before Pope moved there.

Joseph Pope was a shrewd politician, officeholder, businessman and militia officer. As a wealthy merchant and shipbuilder, before entering politics in 1830, he gained a large number of offices and appointments including Major in the Prince County Militia, Collector of Impost and Excise and Receiver of Land Tax. Once entering politics, he went on to serve in various roles including Speaker of the House, Colonial Treasurer, Dominion auditor and Commissioner of Crown and Public Lands. Pope lived at Woodlawn until 1881 when he sold his home and all of its contents. Items sold from the home included suites of rosewood and mahogany, a pianoforte, Brussels and tapestry carpets and French damask curtains!

Francis Longworth Haszard (1849-1938) purchased Woodlawn from Pope. Haszard was a prominent member of Charlottetown society and a successful lawyer. He was involved in municipal affairs serving the City of Charlottetown as magistrate and recorder from 1893 until 1900. In 1904, he became involved in provincial politics and would go on to become Premier of Prince Edward Island in 1908. He would leave politics in 1911 and become the Master of the Rolls and Supreme Court Judge. The Haszard family lived at Woodlawn until after his death in 1938.

Woodlawn now serves as an apartment building. It has been altered extensively throughout the years with additions to the north side, the construction of a shed dormer on the south facade, the changing of the west side porch and the replacement of the single sash windows with paired windows. Although the home has changed in appearance, the association with its prominent first resident goes on. Woodlawn is located on Orlebar Street, which was named for Captain Orlebar. A large former home associated with a number of prominent residents, it helps support the Orlebar Street streetscape.

Sources: Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2

Character-Defining Elements

The following Georgian inspired character-defining elements contribute to the heritage value of Woodlawn:

- The overall irregular massing of the building with its two and one half storeys
- The gable roof
- The size and placement of the chimney
- The shed dormer on the south side of the roof
- The simple mouldings painted in a contrasting colour, including the window and door surrounds, the corner boards, the verandah columns and balustrade
- The size and placement of the windows, including the sash windows on the west side of the house, the bay window on the east side and the paired windows on the south side or facade of the home
- The size and placement of the doors
- The porch on the west side of the home

Other character-defining elements of Woodlawn include:

- The various additions to the north side of the building
- The location of the building on Orlebar Street and its physical and visual relationship to its streetscape



Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

City of Charlottetown

Recognition Statute

City of Charlottetown Zoning and Development Bylaw

Recognition Type

Heritage Resource

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type


Multiple Dwelling


Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2 #0005j

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places