Home / Accueil

Knaut-Rhuland House

125 Pelham Street, Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, B0J, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1989/02/21

Front and west side.; Heritage Division, NS Dept. of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, 2004.
Front and west side
Rear elevation.; Heritage Division, NS Dept. of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, 2004.
Rear elevation
Front elevation.; Heritage Division, NS Dept. of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, 2004.
Front elevation

Other Name(s)

n/a

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1793/01/01 to 1794/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2007/01/29

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Knaut-Rhuland House is a turn of the nineteenth century two and-a-half storey wooden structure located on Pelham Street, between Prince and King Streets in Lunenburg, NS. The house is set immediately on the sidewalk, and is situated close to its neighbours. The building is currently a museum. The building and property are included in the designation.

Heritage Value

Knaut-Rhuland House is valued for its age, architectural style and previous ownership by well-known residents of Lunenburg. On the exterior it has many of the features of the New England Colonial style, yet it is unmistakeably Georgian in its interior layout and floor plan.

Knaut-Rhuland House was built in 1793-1794 by Benjamin Knaut, a merchant and sheriff of Lunenburg. He was the son of one of the most prominant foreign Protestants to settle Lunenburg in 1753, Philip Augustus Knaut. Philip Knaut was the first elected member from Lunenburg to the Nova Scotia Assembly of Representatives.

Benjamin Knaut sold this house in 1813 to Conrad Rhuland, a mariner and privateer. Rhuland was the grandson of another of Lunenburg's original settlers. Rhuland made significant changes in the downstairs front parlour, reflecting the regional Vernacular German style of the first quarter of the 19th century.

In 1823, Rhuland sold the house to John W. Creighton. As a member in the Assembly for Lunenburg County, Judge of Probate, President and Speaker of the Legislative Council, and finally as a Member of the Executive Council (Cabinet), Creighton was an important provincial politician from 1830 until his death in 1867. The house remained in the Creighton family until 1906.

In 1907, the house was sold to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. It is now a museum owned and managed by the Lunenburg Heritage Society and serves as an example of early life in Lunenburg.

Source: Provincial Heritage Program property files, no. 91, 1747 Summer Street, Halifax, NS.

Character-Defining Elements

Character-defining elements of the Knaut-Rhuland House include:

- thick stone foundation;
- post and beam frame built around two massive central chimneys;
- six-over-six windows, in a balanced five-bay façade around a central doorway;
- a medium pitched roof and plank wall ;
- hand-blown cylinder glass in some windows;
- wide cornerboards, bracketed under returned eaves;
- side and transom windows around the central front door;
- simple trim ornamentation;
- early nineteenth century latches and hinges, mouldings and ceiling cornices, & fireplace surrounds.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Nova Scotia

Recognition Authority

Province of Nova Scotia

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act

Recognition Type

Provincially Registered Property

Recognition Date

1989/02/21

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Peopling the Land
Settlement
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Leisure
Museum

Historic

Residence
Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

Benjamin Knaut

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Provincial Heritage Program property files, no. 91, 1747 Summer Street, Halifax, NS

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

00PNS0091

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places