University of Moncton (annex)
Université de Moncton (annexe)
Convent of the Good Shepherd
Couvent de Good Shepherd
Monastery of the Good Shepherd
Monastère de Good Shepherd
Home of the Good Shepherd
Maison de Good Shepherd
Links and documents
1945/01/01 to 1948/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Léopold-Taillon Building consists of a 5-story H-plan modern institutional structure with 4-story and 3-story wings. It is located at the southeast corner of the Université de Moncton campus at the end of Massey Avenue in Moncton.
Léopold-Taillon Building is designated a Local Historic Place for being a good example of the later institutional architectural work of renowned local architect René-Arthur Fréchet.
In 1945, designs were announced for a large 5-story, H-plan brick and stone edifice home for girls that would be all but fireproof. The symmetrical massing and modern materials of Fréchet’s design move beyond utilitarian with the use of rock faced and smooth stone facing on the first story, the use of some Gothic arch windows, a bow oriel window and a pair of double concrete stairways. Wherever possible, Fréchet added aesthetic details to balance the modern functionality of the interior. The use of terrazzo on the hallway floors and the window shelves was an excellent choice due to the beauty and durability of the material. Brass work was limited primarily to fixtures on original panel doors and brass accordion gates on three original elevators. In keeping with the fireproof design of the structure, wood was restricted to doors, windows, window trim and stair baluster handrails. Limiting access between certain floors was accomplished by creating stairways that did not span the entire height of the building. Léopold-Taillon Building was Mr. Fréchet’s final building design in a career that included designs for churches, prominent homes, government buildings and commercial buildings in Moncton and beyond. Because of his architectural achievements, he was one of the most notable Acadian architects of the 20th century.
Léopold-Taillon Building is also designated for its religious and education contexts. The building was erected for the Sisters of the Good Shepherd to replace their home for girls on Church Street. A site was chosen at the top of a small hill at the end of Humphrey Street (now Massey Avenue) on land owned by Reverend Stephen Humphrey in Sunny Brae. Rev. Mother Marie de St. Bernedin de Sienne was superior when the building was completed by Moncton contractor Ambrose Wheeler in 1948.
The Home of the Good Shepherd remained a Catholic-based institution until it became an annex building of the Université de Moncton in 1963. The rededication of the building honoured Frère Léopold Taillon. He was instrumental in creating a province wide alliance of Acadian teachers and professors. His concepts on the training and organizing of Acadian educators while at St. Joseph’s College in Memramcook helped form the foundation of the Université de Moncton. Léopold-Taillon Building now houses the administration offices and some classrooms for the Université de Moncton.
Source: Moncton Museum, Moncton, New Brunswick - second floor files – “Léopold-Taillon Building – Home of the Good Shepherd – University of Moncton”.
The character-defining elements relating to location and context include:
- location on University of Moncton campus in the Sunny Brae area of Moncton.
The character-defining elements relating to the architecture of the Léopold-Taillon Building include:
- H-plan pavilion layout;
- symmetrical massing;
- regular fenestration;
- 3 original elevators;
- common bond red and brown brick walls with sandstone details;
- speed tile throughout;
- single and paired rectangular windows with soldier bond brick headers and stone lug sills;
- continuous stone sills on top floor;
- brick pilasters;
- 1st floor facing of alternating smooth and rock faced stone;
- two original 2-story bay entrances with glass block multi-light windows;
- Gothic arch window openings;
- concrete double stairways with square newels, square balusters, square handrails;
- 1st floor and 2nd floor doorways;
- sandstone cornerstone: “1945”
- segmented arch portico on east wing;
- 2-story bow oriel window with multi-light glass block windows;
- square capped stone entrance gate pillars.
The character-defining elements relating to the interior of Léopold-Taillon Building include:
- terrazzo flooring, stairs, window shelves and baseboards throughout;
- square marble tile flooring;
- plain door and window moulding;
- twisted iron balusters, square iron newels and moulded wooden handrail;
- stairway and hallway double swinging doors with reinforce wire mesh rectangular sidelights and transoms;
- brass accordion screen in elevators;
- large solid wood doors with original hardware at elevator entrances;
- multi-light glass block staircase windows;
- original panel doors with vertical beaded glass lights and original brass hardware;
- canted concrete basement window openings.
Local Governments (NB)
Community Planning Act
1963/01/01 to 1963/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
- Building Social and Community Life
- Education and Social Well-Being
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Post-Secondary Institution
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
- Group Residence
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Moncton Museum - second floor - Historic Places Files
Cross-Reference to Collection