Links and documents
1877/01/01 to 1877/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
All Saints Victoria Anglican Church is a one-storey wood-frame/log building constructed in 1877 and located on a well-treed site among open fields in the Stonewall area. The provincial designation applies to the church and its lot, which includes the church cemetery.
All Saints Victoria Anglican Church is one of the earliest Anglican churches built outside the riverbank-oriented confines of the original Red River Settlement in Manitoba. It also is one of the few remaining examples of dovetail log construction dating from the transformative era when this technique was replacing its predecessor, the Red River frame method. As pioneers began venturing on to the open prairie to seek better farming opportunities than those in the crowded settlement, their limited resources yielded humble, unpretentious ecclesiastical structures such All Saints Victoria, with its straightforward approach to worship characterized by a vernacular sensibility, restrained Gothic Revival detailing and a simple bell-cote. The church also is noted for its association with Reverend Samuel Matheson, its first minister, who went on to a distinguished teaching career and prominent leadership positions in the church, regionally and nationally.
Source: Manitoba Heritage Council Minute, January 13, 1996
Key elements that define the heritage character of the All Saints Victoria Anglican Church site include:
- the placement of the church on a wooded, well-groomed lot in the Stonewall area, facing south to a gravel road and surrounded on three sides by a cemetery holding many graves of local pioneers
Key elements that define the church's modest Gothic Revival exterior styling include:
- the symmetrical box-like form with a gable roof clad in wood shingles and a small projecting front entrance, also with a gable roof
- the modest open bell-cote centred atop the south end of the roof, featuring wood shingles around the square base, an open middle section to expose views to the bell and a pyramidal roof topped with a wooden weather arrow below a simple Latin cross
- the wood-frame and log construction featuring painted horizontal wood siding with trim in a contrasting colour at corners and around openings, concealing the dovetail joins
- the simple double-hung windows throughout, set in pointed arches, with basic wooden tracery, top lights of coloured glass and uncomplicated wooden surrounds
- the details, including the brick chimney, etc.
Key elements that define the church's internal details and finishes include:
- the simple hall plan with a centre aisle bisecting the nave and a raised chancel
- the wood planking on the floors and gambrel ceiling
- the details, including the wainscotting, moulding, simple wooden pews, the delicately carved chancel screen, the pointed arched wooden plank door in the small vestry, the organ, etc.
Province of Manitoba
Manitoba Historic Resources Act
Provincial Heritage Site
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Main Floor, 213 Notre Dame Avenue Winnipeg MB
Cross-Reference to Collection