Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Sheriff Andrews House is an opulent brick 2-storey Adamesque Neoclassical-style residence located on the corner of King and Queen Streets in St. Andrews.
Sheriff Andrews House is designated a Provincial Historic Site for its architecture, for its builder, and for representing the region’s economic prosperity.
Built circa 1820, Sheriff Andrews House is recognized mainly for its architectural value in illustrating the Neoclassical style in New Brunswick. This two-and-a-half storey brick house is an excellent example of the Adamesque Neoclassical style that originated in Great Britain and became popular in the Maritimes following the arrival of the Loyalists in the second half of the 18th century. The purity of its style is reflected in a number of its distinctive features, including the rectangular plan of classical proportions, the massive chimneys, the sash windows, the semielliptical fanlight above the central door, and the perfect symmetry of the various components of the main façade.
Sheriff Andrews House is also recognized for the importance of its original builder, Elisha Shelton Andrews (1772-1833), who had the house constructed circa 1820. Elisha Shelton Andrews was the son of Reverend Samuel Andrews, a Loyalist who immigrated to New Brunswick around 1786 in order to remain loyal to King George III of England and who became the owner of Minister’s Island in Passamaquoddy Bay. Elisha Shelton Andrews practised law and was judge of Charlotte County. He was later appointed sheriff of Charlotte County by Lieutenant-Governor Thomas Carleton. As sheriff, he was responsible for upholding the law, supervising the holding of elections, and selling properties for the collection of debts. One of his final accomplishments was to supervise construction of a new prison, the cornerstone of which was laid in 1832.
Sheriff Andrews House is further recognized for the fact that this opulent property serves as a good illustration of the high level of prosperity in the region and more specifically in St. Andrews in the early 19th century. At that time, the region was experiencing an economic boom thanks primarily to shipbuilding and exports of wood and fish.
Source: Department of Wellness, Culture and Sport, Heritage Branch, Site File: Vol. V-12766, 53
The character-defining elements that describe Sheriff Andrews House include:
- entire property;
- location in the heart of St. Andrews, on the corner of King and Queen streets;
- rectangular two-and-a-half storey plan;
- red brick structure and stone foundation;
- moderately pitched gable roof topped by a brick chimney at either end;
- returned cornices;
- symmetry of the main façade;
- semielliptical fanlight above the central door;
- entrance door with a transom;
- numerous sash windows surmounted by flat arches;
- integrity of the original interior;
- fireplaces in nine rooms of the house;
- back staircase;
- basement kitchen;
- hearth with a beehive oven for baking.
Province of New Brunswick
Historic Sites Protection Act, s. 2(2)
Historic Sites Protection Act – Protected
1786/01/01 to 1786/01/01
1772/01/01 to 1833/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Governing Canada
- Security and Law
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Historic or Interpretive Site
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Elisha Shelton Andrews
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Branch - Site File
Cross-Reference to Collection