W. Albert Smith House
Austin Smith House
Maison Austin Smith
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
W. Albert Smith House is a large two-storey white clapboard house, with a rear wing. It is located near the marshes at the corner of the High Marsh Road and Church Street in Middle Sackville.
W. Albert Smith House is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture, for its location and for its association with the occupants.
W. Albert Smith House is recognized for being a good example of the Greek Revival style of architecture. Built in circa 1830 by George L. Kinnear, the main part of the house is in the Greek revival style of architecture. It is a large two-storey white clapboard house, with a rear wing. It is probable that the rear wing of the house was built earlier as it resembles 1-½ storey houses that were built in this area circa 1795, such as the earlier section of the Christopher Boultenhouse House built circa 1790 by George Bulmer.
W. Albert Smith House is located in a significant spot in Middle Sackville. This house was reported to be a stopping place for the stagecoach as it made its way to Nova Scotia on the Old Coach Road.
W. Albert Smith House is also recognized for its association with the owners that played a major part in the rural nature of the community. George L. Kinnear and W. Albert Smith played important roles in the development of the agricultural economy of Middle Sackville. Kinnear bought the property in 1824. Mary Kinnear, the widow of George, left the property to their son William in a will dated 1848. William Kinnear had a blacksmith shop here at the corner of street and later his son Boyd carried on farming. The property was sold to prominent farmer William Albert Smith in 1884.
Source: Town of Sackville, Historic Places File Cabinet, W. Albert Smith House File
The character-defining elements that describe W. Albert Smith House include:
- rectangular 2-storey massing;
- central front door, with windows on either side;
- attic story windows;
- gable roof;
- wide band of trim forming triangular pediments on gable ends;
- door divided into four panels, with doorway featuring an elliptical fanlight with sidelights in the Adam style;
- wide facia board on side façade of the house;
- symmetrically placed six over six double-hung windows;
- panelled pilasters topped with decorative design in the Doric style;
- white clapboards covering the house;
- rear wing.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
1824/01/01 to 1824/01/01
1848/01/01 to 1848/01/01
1884/01/01 to 1884/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
George L. Kinnear
Location of Supporting Documentation
Town of Sackville, Historic Places File Cabinet, W. Albert Smith File
Cross-Reference to Collection