Description of Historic Place
2990 Albert Street, commonly known as the Hill Residence, is a Municipal Heritage Property occupying one-and-a-half city lots located in the historic neighbourhood of Old Lakeview, near the Provincial Legislative Building. The property includes a 2 1/2-storey, red brick, Tudor Revival-style house constructed in 1911, and a wood-frame coach house.
The heritage value of 2990 Albert Street resides in its architecture. Said to have been based on upon an English house admired by its builders, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Hill, its plan was then reduced in size by a quarter. Designed by the Regina architectural firm of Clemesha and Coltman in 1911, it incorporates elements of English Tudor and 19th century Gothic Revival illustrated in its stepped parapet gables, carved trim mullions and casing, wall buttresses and a slit gable window. Complimenting the exterior, the interior is inspired by the English Arts and Crafts movement with subtle detailing such as a staircase incorporating a carved leaf and branch motif, bedroom chimneypieces and inglenooks in the attic billiard room. Light coloured oak comprises the home’s three-quarter height panelling, cross beam ceilings and first floor mouldings. The historical integrity of the interior is best illustrated by the massive porcelain tub that has been retained in the master bedroom’s ensuite lavatory.
The heritage value of property also stems from its association with the city’s prominent Hill family. Built for Walter and Grace Hill, this was the residence of one of Regina’s foremost real estate developers. A partner of the McCallum Hill Company, a major Saskatchewan real estate and land development company, Mr. Hill resided in the house until his death in 1971. Through the partnership with the McCallum brothers, Mr. Hill was involved in some of Regina’s most important real estate developments such as the construction of the ten-storey, landmark, McCallum-Hill Building (1912), and the development of the Lakeview sub-division, site of this house. To promote the Lakeview sub-division as Regina’s most fashionable neighbourhood, Mr. Hill and his partners were the first to build their residences here.
The heritage value of property also resides in its contribution to the historic residential streetscape of the Old Lakeview neighbourhood. One of the first and most prominent houses in the neighbourhood, it set the tone for future development, with the dignified design of the house and grounds continuing to contribute to their surroundings. The original circular driveway accessed from Albert Street continues to grace the grounds while its mature plantings benefit the neighbourhood. The wood-frame coach house with stable at the rear of the property further contributes to the historic character of the neighbourhood.
City of Regina Bylaw No. 7284
The heritage value of 2990 Albert Street resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements which reflect the property’s historic Tudor Revival exterior architecture, such as its two-and-one-half-storey plan with one-storey irregularities; steeply pitched side gable roof with lower cross gables, cedar shingles, stepped parapet gables with stone coping, open eaves with exposed rafters, and a cedar shingle clad shed roof dormer window; pressed red brick cladding with grey, Indiana limestone detailing; a variety of windows including 6/1, double-hung, wooden sash windows in single, double and triple assembly, divided by stone mullions and cased with stone detailing; a slit-type gable window; wraparound terrace with closed, brick and stone detailed balustrades incorporating a shed roof verandah with a red Welsh quarry tiled floor; two external chimneys with corbelled caps and clay chimney pots;
-those elements that reflect the property’s historic Arts and Crafts interior, including the ground floor’s light-coloured oak woodwork, such as cross beam ceilings, three-quarter height panelling, doors, and delicately carved staircase; fir detailing on the second floor and in the attic; attic billiard room with two inglenooks and a iron and copper hooded fireplace with porcelain tiled hearth; some original light fixtures; Arts and Crafts-style chimneypieces with porcelain tiled hearths; original lavatory features such as unglazed porcelain floors, glazed porcelain wall tiles, sinks and the porcelain tub;
-those elements which contribute to its position within the historic residential neighbourhood and streetscape, including its original placement on its lot; mature plantings; circular front driveway; and the wood-frame one-and-one-half-storey coach house with stable, clad in shingles and beveled siding, with side gable roof, shed roof dormers, and hinged, double doors.