Home / Accueil

Holy Trinity Rectory

65 William Street, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, B0W, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1990/06/14

Holy Trinity Rectory, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, ca. 1875, prior to its purchase by Holy Trinity Parish.; Courtesy Yarmouth County Museum and Archives
Rectory ca. 1875.
A southwest perspective of Holy Trinity Rectory, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, 2006.; Heritage Division, NS Dept. of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, 2006
Southwest Perspective
Detail of the front entrance of Holy Trinity Rectory, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, 2006.; Heritage Division, NS Dept. of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, 2006
Front Entrance

Other Name(s)

Holy Trinity Rectory
65 William Street

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2007/03/20

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Holy Trinity Rectory is a two-and-a-half storey house of wood construction built circa 1862 in the Classic Revival style. It is located on William Street, near the central business district of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, immediately north of Holy Trinity Anglican Church. Municipal heritage designation applies to the house and its residential lot.

Heritage Value

Holy Trinity Rectory is valued as the residence of the rectors of Holy Trinity Parish since 1892 and for its Classic Revival architecture which has remained relatively unchanged since the house was built circa 1862.

Holy Trinity Rectory was built as the residence of George G. Gray, a partners in the firm of Corning & Gray, general goods merchants. Ownership of the property changed hands no less than six times over the next thirty years, until it was purchased in 1892 by the Anglican parish as a residence for the rectors of the church. No doubt, its proximity to the church, which is immediately south of the Rectory, as well as its convenience for the resident rectors, had some influence on the decision of the church wardens to buy the property. Over the one-hundred and fifteen years it has been owned by the parish, the property has been extremely well maintained, losing few if any of its original elements.

The Classical Revival architecture of Holy Trinity Rectory is exemplified in its symmetry, its two-and-a-half storeys and its classic trim elements.

Source: Registered Heritage Property files, Town of Yarmouth, NS.

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements of Holy Trinity Rectory include:

- location in a residential neighbourhood near main business district;
- proximity to four other registered heritage properties, including Holy Trinity Anglican Church;
- generous setback on a large residential lot;
- proximity to other houses of similar scale.

The character-defining elements of the Classic Revival architecture of Holy Trinity Rectory include:

- two-and-a-half storeys;
- wood construction and cladding;
- rectangular massing;
- symmetrical three-bay facade;
- centred, slightly recessed entrance with side-lights and transom-lights and decorated entablature;
- double-hung sash windows;
- one-storey cutaway bay windows on north and south gable ends;
- corner pilasters;
- medium pitched gable roof with pedimented gables and dentil trim in eaves.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Nova Scotia

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NS)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act

Recognition Type

Municipally Registered Property

Recognition Date

1990/06/14

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Peopling the Land
Settlement
Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Residence
Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Municipal Heritage Property files: Holy Trinity Rectory; located at 400 Main Street, Yarmouth, NS, B5A 1G2

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

55MNS2285

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places