77 Lewis Point Road
George Lewis Farm
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
77 Lewis Point Road is a wood framed former farmhouse located on a large lot with a number of mature trees. The home shows Maritime Vernacular style influences such as a large central dormer on its south facade, but the house has been altered extensively from its original form. It was originally part of a large farm, with a view of the North River and Ellen's Creek, yet in recent years, the land around the home has been developed into residential housing. The designation encompasses the building's exterior and parcel; it does not include the building's interior.
The heritage value of 77 Lewis Point Road lies in its role as one of the early farms of the Charlottetown Royalty and in its association with the Lewis family for whom the Lewis Point area is named.
It is not clear when the house at 77 Lewis Point Road was constructed, but a residence owned by a "Collins", appears in the area on the 1863 Lake Map. By the time that the 1880 Meacham's Illustrated Historical Atlas of Prince Edward Island was published, the George Lewis family owned the property. The Lewis' owned approximately 80 acres of land in West Royalty where Ellen's Creek and the North River meet. The area has been named Lewis Point in honour of the family that farmed there for so many years. Later owners of the property included Harry Morris and the Bugden family.
An historic image of 77 Lewis Point Road has survived and shows a much larger home. The house has changed significantly throughout the years with a wing being removed from the north side and another smaller section being added to the south side. The verandah that once wrapped around the facade and the eave returns of the gables have been removed as well. It appears that the original house was built in the Maritime Vernacular cottage style. The simple style was common in mid-1800s Prince Edward Island. A distinctively Maritime style, its features include a rectangular plan, a central doorway and a large, centrally placed dormer.
Located in a primarily late Twentieth Century residential area, 77 Lewis Point Road stands out among its more modern neighbours. Originally, it was one of a few homes built in what was referred to as the Charlottetown Royalty. The Royalty had been set-aside in the 1770s to provide farmland for the early citizens of Charlottetown. In time, a number of families of some wealth and prestige established estates there, the properties serving either as their principal residences or as semi-rural retreats.
Sources: Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
The following character-defining elements contribute to the heritage value of 77 Lewis Point Road:
- The overall massing of the original home with its two storeys
- The gable roof with centre gable dormer located on the south side of the home
- The size and placement of the sash windows
- The size and placement of the doors
- The size, shape and placement of the porch on the east side of the home
- The size and placement of the remaining brick chimney
Other character-defining elements include:
- The location of the home on a large lot with mature trees
Prince Edward Island
City of Charlottetown
City of Charlottetown Zoning and Development Bylaw
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
Cross-Reference to Collection