Description of Historic Place
63-65 Upper Prince Street is a wood framed, Queen Anne Revival influenced former church manse. It features an irregular roofline, several bay windows, and a partially enclosed front verandah or umbrage. The manse was associated with the Grace Methodist Church that was once located to the south of the home. The designation encompasses the building's exterior and parcel; it does not include the building's interior.
The heritage value of 63-65 Upper Prince Street lies in its association with the former Grace Methodist Church; its Queen Anne Revival influenced architecture; and its role in supporting the streetscape.
The Grace Methodist Church Manse was designed for the congregation by prominent architects, Phillips and Chappell and constructed by builder, William Fraser, in 1886. It was the second manse for the congregation and was described by the 21 July 1886 edition of the Examiner newspaper as a "pretty, one and a half storey, hip roof structure containing ten rooms".
The manse served the pastors of the Grace Methodist Church until approximately 1918 when the congregation united with the First Methodist Church, or what is now the Trinity United Church on Prince Street. The former church building was offered for sale in the 15 August 1918 edition of the local newspaper, the Guardian. Those interested were asked to send tenders to the residence of Secretary Trustee, R.E. Mutch. Eventually, the church became an apartment building called the Ritz, which still stands to this day.
Local directories reveal that a number of individuals called 63-65 Upper Prince Street home. In 1915, during the time that the Grace Methodist Church was still next door, Reverend F.H. Littlejohns, pastor, was listed as residing at 63-65 Upper Prince Street. However, by 1922, the house does not appear to be used by the church anymore, as it was inhabited by W.E. Fletcher, who lived there until at least 1928. Later residents included Professor Louis D. Thompson and Charles Goff, an employee of H.K.S. Hemming.
63-65 Upper Prince Street was influenced by the Queen Anne Revival style, a style that was somewhat subdued in Charlottetown compared with other provinces. It was a popular style in Charlottetown from approximately 1880 until 1910. Richard N. Shaw (1831-1912), a British architect, created the style that incorporated some of the motifs popular during Queen Anne's reign (1702-1714). Features of the style can include asymmetrical designs, turrets, a variety of rooflines, porches and complex details.
An impressive home, located among a number of fine heritage homes, including the former Grace Methodist Church, 63-65 Upper Prince Street helps support the streetscape.
Sources: Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
The following character-defining elements contribute to the heritage value of 63-65 Upper Prince Street:
- The overall irregular massing of the building
- The wood shingle cladding
- The mouldings painted in a contrasting colour, particularly the door and window surrounds, the round arch above the door of the north side, the beltcourse and the eave bracketing
- The variety of rooflines including the hipped roof that slopes down over the porch
- The dormers, including the shed and gable dormers
- The large semi-enclosed verandah or umbrage with square columns
- The size and placement of the windows, including the grouped windows, the single bay windows and the stacked bay windows located on the south side of the facade topped with a conical roof providing a turret effect
- The style and centre placement of the door
- The size, shape and placement of the brick chimney
Other character-defining elements of 63-65 Upper Prince Street include:
- The location of the building on Upper Prince Street and its physical and visual relationship to its streetscape