Description of Historic Place
33 Upper Prince Street is a wood framed Queen Anne Revival influenced cottage located among a number of heritage houses. It features asymmetrical rooflines and a variety of exterior cladding materials. The street was originally named Haviland Lane for the Haviland family that owned a large amount of land in the area. It was later changed to Upper Prince Street. The designation encompasses the building's exterior and parcel; it does not include the building's interior.
The heritage value of 33 Upper Prince Street lies in its association with various Charlottetown residents; its Queen Anne Revival influenced architecture; and its role in supporting the streetscape.
It is not clear exactly when 33 Upper Prince Street was constructed, but it was likely in the latter part of the 19th Century. Local directories reveal a number of individuals who lived there. John Frederick Whear (1867-1951), a post office inspector, postmaster, lawyer and politician resided at the address from as early as 1915 until at least 1935.
Whear attended local schools before he studied law in the offices of Chief Justice Louis Henry Davies. He was appointed to the Bar in 1890 and practised in Davies' firm until 1901, when he joined Major W.A. Weeks to form the firm of Weeks and Whear. He would continue his association with Weeks until he was appointed postmaster of Charlottetown and post office inspector for the province.
Whear became active politically serving both provincially and municipally at the same time. He was elected in the PEI general election of 1900 for 5th Queens, and was appointed to the Executive Council, before he resigned in 1904. In 1900, he was also elected to the Charlottetown City Council, where he represented Ward 4. Two years later, he was chosen to represent Ward 5. During his time on Council, he served as acting mayor when Mayor Warburton was out of the country.
Later residents of 33 Upper Prince Street included Fred M. and Constance Nash. Fred Nash served as a Supervisor with the Dominion Department of Agriculture. He is listed at the address in 1935 and lived there until at least 1950.
33 Upper Prince Street was influenced by the Queen Anne Revival style, a style that was somewhat subdued in Charlottetown compared with other provinces. It was popular from approximately 1880 until 1910. Richard N. Shaw (1831-1912), a British architect, created the style that incorporated some of the motifs popular during Queen Anne's reign (1702-1714). Features of the style include asymmetrical designs, a variety of rooflines, porches and the addition of a variety of exterior cladding elements, particularly in the gables.
An impressive house, located among a number of fine heritage homes; 33 Upper Prince Street helps support the streetscape.
Sources: Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
The following character-defining elements contribute to the heritage value of 33 Upper Prince Street:
- The overall irregular massing of the building
- The wood shingle exterior with vertical board and batten cladding in the gables and on the porch
- The mouldings painted in a contrasting colour, particularly the door and window surrounds, the gingerbread in the apexes of the gables and around the windows, the pilasters, the cornerboards and beltcourses
- The cross gable roof that is asymmetrical facing the street
- The size and placement of the windows, including the paired sash windows of the facade, the windows of the porch and the stacked canted bays and the square bay window
- The style and placement of the door with paired transom light
- The size, placement and shape of the porches located on the south side of the home
- The size, placement and shape of the brick chimneys
Other character-defining elements include:
- The location of the building on Upper Prince Street and its physical and visual relationship to its streetscape