Home / Accueil

Cox's Warehouse

10 Ann Street, Shelburne, Nova Scotia, B0T, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1986/06/10

Front entrance, Ann Street, Cox's Warehouse, Shelburne, Nova Scotia, 2007.
; Heritage Division, NS Dept. of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, 2007.
Front entrance, Ann Street, Cox's Warehouse
West elevation, Dock Street, Cox's Warehouse, Shelburne, Nova Scotia, 2007.
; Heritage Division, NS Dept. of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, 2007.
West elevation, Dock Street, Cox's Warehouse
Looking south down Dock Street, Shelburne, Nova Scotia, 2007; Heritage Division, NS Dept. of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, 2007.
Lookng south down Dock Street

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1902/01/01 to 1902/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2007/06/14

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Cox's Warehouse is located on the east side of Dock Street between Ann Street and Maiden Lane in Shelburne, Nova Scotia, extending the entire side of the block. This three-and-a-half storey wooden Greek Revival style building was built in 1902. The building and property are included in the municipal designation.

Heritage Value

Cox's Warehouse is valued for its historical association with local businessman, George A. Cox, its architecture and for its contribution to the streetscape along Shelburne’s historic Dock Street.

Cox's Warehouse was built for local businessman George A. Cox in 1902. This store, one hundred and sixty feet in length, served as a place of supply for the many American fishermen who came into this port, as well as supplying the shipyards around town. The office was headquarters for shipping, lumbering, fishing and shipbuilding. There was also a retail store in the building with a mail-order department included.

George A. Cox also owned, or had interest in, at least nineteen ships during the period from 1866 to 1917. Some of the vessels were used for fishing and some carried freight to Barbados, Cuba, Santo Domingo and various other ports.

Cox's Warehouse is a three-and-a-half storey wooden Greek Revival style building. It sits on a granite block foundation and has a medium pitch gable roof. This building was the setting for the movie, "A, The Scarlet Letter" and was modified at that time to portray a meeting house on the outside by adding a steeple. The steeple still remains.

This large building is set directly on Dock Street, facing south. This was a convenient location on the waterfront as it was close to the fishing and shipbuilding activities that were conducted there. The building is presently owned by the Shelburne Historical Society.

Source: Town of Shelburne, Heritage file, no. 8, Shelburne, Nova Scotia.

Character-Defining Elements

Character-defining elements of Cox's Warehouse relating to its Greek Revival style include:

- three-and-a-half storey wood frame construction;
- granite block foundation;
- symmetrical three bay front façade;
- medium pitched gable roof;
- return eaves with support brackets;
- moderate cornerboards;
- window display area flanked by decorative moulded panels;
- recessed entry;
- Doric capitals support front entablature;
- additional gable and two gabled dormers on the west side;
- three gabled dormers on the east side;
- prominent location on Dock Street.



Nova Scotia

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NS)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act

Recognition Type

Municipally Registered Property

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce

Function - Category and Type



Commerce / Commercial Services
Shop or Wholesale Establishment
Commerce / Commercial Services

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Town of Shelburne, P.O. Box 670, Shelburne, NS, B0T 1W0

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places