Home / Accueil

St. Stephen's University

8 Main Street, St. Stephen, New Brunswick, E3L, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2006/06/08

Front view; Town of St. Stephen
St. Stephen's University
Mansard roof; Town of St. Stephen
St. Stephen's University
No Image

Other Name(s)

St. Stephen's University
Cullinen House
Maison Cullinen
Park Hotel
Hôtel Park
Park Hall

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1866/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2007/07/05

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

St. Stephen's University is a wooden four-story building of distinctive Italianate residential architecture. It is located on Main Street in St. Stephen.

Heritage Value

St. Stephen's University is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for the various roles it has played in the community.

St. Stephen’s University is recognized for its architecture. Built in 1866, it is a fine example of residential Italianate architecture from the mid-19th century in St. Stephen. This style is exhibited in such details as the mansard roof with front-facing mansard gable, the pedimented front entrance and the detailed brackets and window treatments.

St. Stephen's University is also recognized for its various roles in the community. It is the former home of Hugh Cullinen, a prominent dry goods merchant in St. Stephen. The house remained a private residence until circa 1900 when it was purchased by the Ganong Bros. Ltd. It was used as a boarding house for female workers who came from Newfoundland, England, Scotland and Wales to work in their world-renown candy factory. The residence was purchased to be used as a hotel in 1930. The Park Hotel operated until 1970. In 1976, it became Park Hall, part of St. Stephen's University, a Christian university.

Source: St Stephen Town Hall - Historical Places file, "St. Stephen's University"

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements that describe St. Stephen's University include:
- irregular four-storey massing;
- mansard roof with front-facing mansard gable;
- dormers;
- wide eaves;
- pediments and entablatures on rectangular windows;
- central entrance featuring double doors, pilasters and pediment;
- central Roman arch window keystone;
- clapboard siding;
- two-story pilasters and corner boards;
- detailed double brackets under the eaves.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Local Historic Places Program

Recognition Type

Municipal Register of Local Historic Places

Recognition Date

2006/06/08

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions
Building Social and Community Life
Education and Social Well-Being
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Education
Post-Secondary Institution

Historic

Residence
Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

St.Stephen Town Hall- Historical Places file

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

1126

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places