Rose Gill Hospital
1st Street W & 2nd Avenue, Rabbit Lake, Saskatchewan, S0M, Canada
Rose Gill Hospital
Rose Gill Hospital Heritage Site
Red Cross Outpost Hospital
Links and documents
1928/01/01 to 1928/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Rose Gill Hospital is a Municipal Heritage Property located within the Village of Rabbit Lake along First Street West. The property features a two-storey, wood-frame building constructed in 1928.
The heritage value of Rose Gill Hospital lies in its historical role in the healthcare of the district. The six-bed hospital was built in 1928 as a Red Cross Outpost Hospital through the fundraising efforts of local citizens and with the assistance of a sizable donation from British philanthropist, Rose Gill. The hospital was one of the first public buildings constructed in the community, underlying the importance the community put in the structure. The hospital was used for almost thirty years until a new hospital was constructed directly south of the hospital in 1958. Soon after, the Rose Gill Hospital was converted into a residence for local nurses which it remained until the hospital board closed it in 1989.
Village of Rabbit Lake Bylaw 2-01.
The heritage value of the Rose Gill Hospital resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that reflect its historic role in the healthcare of the district, including the location on its original lot and the interior layout of the property sectioned into small individual rooms.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Governing Canada
- Government and Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Health and Research
- Hospital or Other Health Care Institution
- Multiple Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File: MHP 1425
Cross-Reference to Collection