Home / Accueil

LETHBRIDGE FIRE HALL NO. 1

402 - 2 Avenue South, Lethbridge, Alberta, T1J, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1979/07/05

Lethbridge Fire Hall No. 1 (circa 1912); Glenbow Archives, NA-4225-10
Front and side facades
Lethbridge Fire Hall No. 1 (April 2004); Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management, 2004
Three quarter view
Lethbridge Fire Hall No. 1 (circa 1914); City of Lethbridge Archives, circa 1914
Three quarter view

Other Name(s)

LETHBRIDGE FIRE HALL NO. 1
Municipal Public Building
No. 1 Fire Hall
Fire Hall No. 1
Fire Hall #1

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1908/01/01 to 1909/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2007/10/03

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Lethbridge Fire Hall No. 1 is a three-storey brick building with arched, recessed windows, a prominent bell tower, and three vehicle bay openings. The bricks on the ground floor are painted red. It is situated on a subdivided block in Lethbridge's historic downtown.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of Lethbridge Fire Hall No. 1 lies in its status as the oldest and one of the finest remaining brick fire halls in Alberta. It also possesses value for its historic role as a centre of municipal governance and administration.

Designed in the Italianate style, Lethbridge Fire Hall No. 1 is the most architecturally impressive of all early fire halls in the province. Its size and ornate design symbolize the community's economic aspirations and the new demand for municipal services during the rapid commercial and residential development that took place at the turn of the twentieth century.

Constructed in 1908-09 to replace a smaller brick structure on the same location, Lethbridge Fire Hall No. 1 housed all city offices, council chambers, and both the police and fire departments. Known as the Municipal Public Building, it served in this multi-use capacity until 1917, when the city offices and police department relocated. The building continued to serve as No. 1 Fire Hall until 1974.

Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch (File: Des. 201)

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements of the exterior of Lethbridge Fire Hall No. 1 include:
- rectangular shape, form and massing;
- cupola bell tower with round-arched openings and pressed tin support columns;
- wide arched recessed openings and wood doors on the north facade;
- "FIRE HALL No 1" sign;
- doors into vehicle bays and historic hardware;
- brick cornice;
- round-headed windows in a rhythmic pattern;
- decorative oculus window above main entrance door;
- double-hung wooden sash windows;
- main level painted bricks;
- locally manufactured bricks above the main level.

Original remaining elements and fittings of the interior of Lethbridge Fire Hall No. 1 such as:
- the remaining original material of the jail cells in the basement;
- brick walls and arches.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Alberta

Recognition Authority

Province of Alberta

Recognition Statute

Historical Resources Act

Recognition Type

Provincial Historic Resource

Recognition Date

1979/07/05

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Governing Canada
Government and Institutions
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Commerce / Commercial Services
Office or Office Building
Government
Fire Station
Government
Police Station
Government
Town or City Hall

Historic

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, Old St. Stephen's College, 8820 - 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2P8 (File: Des. 201)

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

4665-0186

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places