Home / Accueil

St. John Bohoslav Krasne Church

Big Quill RM 308, Saskatchewan, S0A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1989/06/13

Front elevation of the Church.; Brett Quiring, 2007.
St. John Bohoslow Kranse Church, 2007.
View of bell tower.; Brett Quiring, 2007.
St. John Bohoslow Kranse Church, 2007.
View of cemetery.; Brett Quiring, 2007.
St. John Bohoslow Kranse Church, 2007.

Other Name(s)

St. John Bohoslav Krasne Church
St. John Bohoslow Krasne Ukrainian Catholic Church

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1927/01/01 to 1964/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2007/12/13

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

St. John Bohoslav Krasne Church is a Municipal Heritage Property situated on four hectares in the Rural Municipality of Big Quill No. 308, approximately 20 kilometres southeast of the Town of Wynyard. The property features a brick-clad church constructed in 1940, a freestanding belfry constructed in 1927, a parish hall constructed in 1964 and a cemetery founded in 1916, all surrounded by trees.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of the St. John Bohoslav Krasne Church lies in its architecture. Constructed in 1940, the church exhibits the Byzantine Revival influence common to most Ukrainian Catholic churches constructed in Saskatchewan during the period. This style is seen in the church’s octagonal domes, rose windows, rounded windows and the building’s cruciform layout.

The heritage value of the property also lies in its status as a place of religious worship and communal gathering. The St. John Bohoslav Krasne Parish acquired the property in 1914, built their church here in 1916 and subsequently established the cemetery and constructed a belfry. The use of the property as a place for social gatherings was enhanced by the planting of trees and the construction of a parish hall.

Source:

Rural Municipality of Big Quill No. 308 Bylaw 4-89.

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of St. John Bohoslav Krasne Church resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that reflect the church’s Byzantine Revival-inspired architecture, including the octagonal central dome and front domes, metal cupolas, rose windows in the gable ends, rounded archways with segmented arches, fan lights above the main entrance, semi-circular bargeboard design along the roof line, symmetrical composition and the cruciform layout;
-those elements of the belfry that reflect its association with the congregation, such as its form, massing and the bells;
-those elements of the hall that reflect its use as a place of communal gathering, including the open spaces in the hall, the open lawns and the large conifer trees that separate the hall from the church and line the central road to the church;
-those elements that reflect the cemetery’s status as Christian burial place, including the headstones and their arrangement into rows, and the partial hedgerow around the cemetery’s boundary.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Saskatchewan

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date

1989/06/13

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure
Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Community
Social, Benevolent or Fraternal Club

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

Michael Sawchuk

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Saskatchewan Ministry of Tourism, Parks, Culture and Sport Heritage Resources Branch 1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK File: MHP 1281

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 1281

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places