Home / Accueil

St. Ignatius Church

Leroy RM 339, Saskatchewan, S0K, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1990/07/11

View of the south side and tower, 2007.; Brett Quiring, 2007.
South elevation of the St. Ignatius Church.
View of the church from the balcony, 2007.; Brett Quiring, 2007.
Interior of the St. Ignatius Church.
No Image

Other Name(s)

St. Ignatius Roman Catholic Church
Sinnett Church
St. Ignatius Church

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1928/01/01 to 1928/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2007/12/13

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

St. Ignatius Church is a Municipal Heritage Property situated on a three-hectare parcel of land within the Rural Municipality of Leroy No. 339, 11 kilometres west and 10.5 kilometres south of the Town of Leroy. The property includes a wood-frame church constructed in 1928, a cemetery founded in 1905 and a large wooden cross.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of St. Ignatius Church lies in its association with Irish settlement in the region. In 1905, eight Irish men led by Rev. Fr. John Chester Sinnett homesteaded in the area, establishing the small community that would become Sinnett. Fr. Sinnett quickly established a parish and it acquired the land in 1905. The property became the centre of the community and, at its height, included, not only a church and cemetery, but also a post office, hall and school. The church was constructed in 1928 and was the third church constructed on the property. A cross was erected on the location of the original church. Over the years most of the buildings on the property have been removed, leaving the church as one of the last landmarks of the community.

The heritage value of the property also lies in its architecture. Inspired by Gothic Revival architecture popular for ecclesiastical buildings at the time, the property is representative of the era’s country churches in Saskatchewan. The most defining characteristic of the property is its large central bell tower with pointed arches and louvered windows.

Source:

Rural Municipality of Leroy No. 339 Bylaw 5-90.

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of St. Ignatius Church resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that reflect its association with Irish settlement in the region, including its position on its original location, cross on top of the central tower, cemetery tombstones and their arrangement into rows;
-those elements that reflect the property’s Gothic-inspired architecture, including its central bell tower with four-sided spire, louvered belfry, and circular window; its rectangular form, regular massing, pointed-arch windows and entryways with tracery, and steep gable roof.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Saskatchewan

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date

1990/07/11

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1905/01/01 to 1928/12/31

Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure
Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Saskatchewan Ministry of Tourism, Parks, Culture and Sport Heritage Resources Branch 1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK File: MHP 1378

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 1378

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places