Notre Dame d’Auvergne Parish Hall
Notre Dame d’Auvergne Parish Hall
Links and documents
1923/01/01 to 1923/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Notre Dame d’Auvergne Parish Hall is a Municipal Heritage Property located in the Town of Ponteix adjacent to Notre Dame d’Auvergne Church and other historic buildings associated with the Roman Catholic Church. The red-brick structure, built in 1923, features Neoclassical style influences and an open belfry topped by a dome with distinctive metal cladding.
The heritage value of the Notre Dame d’Auvergne Parish Hall resides in its role as a meeting place for members of the parish since it was built in 1923. Completed just five months after fire destroyed the parish church, the hall was conceived as both a temporary place of worship and as a social centre. From 1923 until 1930, when the new church was dedicated, the Parish Hall served as the place of worship for members of the Notre Dame d’Auvergne Parish. During this time, and thereafter, the Parish Hall also housed social and fundraising activities. Over the years, the Parish Hall has hosted musical and theatrical performance, Knights of Columbus meetings, and a variety of other church activities.
The heritage value of the Notre Dame d’Auvergne Parish Hall also resides in its materials and form. The hall is one of a small number of brick buildings in the town. Notable exterior features of the red-brick hall include the Neoclassical style Palladian front window and its open belfry with rounded-arch openings. Atop the belfry is a dome displaying a unique ‘scalloped’ metal cladding. The interior of the hall features an uncommon use of pressed metal, which completely covers the walls and ceilings. Gothic-style motifs found in the pressed metal make it especially appropriate for its church-related purpose.
There is also value in the context of the Notre Damed’Auvergne Parish Hall due to its location, which is adjacent to Notre Dame d’Auvergne Parish Church (1930) and other heritage buildings associated with the Roman Catholic Church. These associated buildings include the Sisters of Notre Dame Convent (1916) and the former Gabriel Hospital (1918). The Parish Hall contributes to this concentration of historic religious architecture.
Town of Ponteix Bylaw # 03/2005.
The heritage value of Notre Dame d’Auvergne Parish Hall resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements which relate to the architecture of the exterior, including its symmetrical and rectangular form, gable roof with returns, red-brick exterior, concrete detailing (window sills), the east elevation Palladian window with multi-pane sashes, the side elevation doorways with hoods, the open-front porch, the belfry with rounded-arch openings and metal clad dome with a ‘scalloped’ finish, the cross atop the dome;
-those elements which relate to the architecture of the interior, such as its open plan with gallery and stage, the pressed metal cladding of the walls and ceiling that incorporates Gothic style motifs, the hardwood floor;
-those elements which relate to its context, such as its original location adjacent to the Notre Dame d’Auvergne Parish Church and other heritage buildings associated with the Roman Catholic Church.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File: MHP 2315
Cross-Reference to Collection