St. Paul's Anglican Church
77, King Street, Village of Delta, Ontario, K0G, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
St. Paul's Anglican Church consists of a single-storey, white fieldstone structure, now covered with stucco. It has stained glass windows and a tower and is located at 77 King St. in the Village of Delta. St. Paul's Anglican Church was initially used as a Baptist Church at the time of its completion in 1811 and has served as a place of worship for several different congregations in Delta for over 195 years. St. Paul's Anglican Church is reputed to be one of the oldest surviving churches in Canada.
The Township of Bastard and South Burgess recognizes St. Paul's Anglican Church for its heritage values in By-Law 466.
St. Paul's Anglican Church is associated with one of the earliest residents of Delta, Elder Abel James Stevens Senior. Elder Stevens was one of the first settlers in Delta in 1796, as evidenced by the original name of Stevenstown given to the area. Following the Revolutionary War, Stevens emigrated from Vermont to the area and is reputed to have been the founder of the community. In 1811, Stevens called a meeting to discuss the building of a much needed Baptist Church in Delta. Construction of the church, which would later become the St. Paul's Anglican Church, began in 1811 under Stevens' supervision. The historical and cultural value of St. Paul's Anglican Church lies in its tenure as one of the oldest churches in Canada and as a site, which has acted as a place of worship for three different religious congregations at one time.
At the time of construction in 1811, St. Paul's Anglican Church functioned as a place of worship for the Baptist congregation in Delta. Meanwhile, the Anglican Church appointed a missionary to serve the needs of the areas that did not yet have a church to use. In 1827, the Baptist Church was purchased by the Anglican Church. Until 1864, both the Baptist and Anglican congregations shared the church and used it as a place of worship. Between 1843 and 1862 the Methodist congregation also used the church as a place of worship. In 1864, the Baptist congregation sold their shares in the church at which point the Anglican congregation became the sole users of the church and named it St. Paul's Anglican Church. St. Paul's Anglican Church's history of shared use between multiple congregations tells the story of Delta's early religious history. St. Paul's Anglican Church has been in continuous use for over 195 years.
St. Paul's Anglican Church is a typical example of early ecclesiastical architecture in Upper Canada. Built of fieldstone and parged with stucco the layout of this early structure was a simple rectilinear plan with the front gable end punctuated by the central tower and steeple. Balanced by flanking gothic windows, the front double door entrance has a gothic transom and a smaller gothic window centred above.
Sources: Township of Bastard and South Burgess By-Law 466; Diane Haskins, My Own Four Walls: Heritage Buildings in Bastard and South Burgess Township, Council of Bastard and South Burgess Township (1984); Township of Rideau Lakes L.A.C.A.C, Heritage Tour of Delta; (2002).
Character defining elements that reflect the heritage value of St. Paul's Anglican Church include the:
- stucco covered fieldstone exterior
- medium-pitched gable roof with metal sheathing
- projecting eaves with a moulded fascia and a decorated soffit and frieze
- projecting verges with returned eaves
- pinnacle at each corner of the tower
- single brick chimney
- stained-glass Gothic style windows on the front facade and sides of the structure
- stained-glass Gothic style window on the back facade of the structure
- four Gothic style openings at the top of the tower
- circular date stone on the tower
- stained-glass transom above the front door
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
1843/01/01 to 1862/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Township of Bastard and South Burgess By-Law 466, Rideau Lakes Township Office
Diane Haskins, "My Own Four Walls: Heritage Buildings in Bastard and South Burgess Township", Council of Bastard and South Burgess Township (1984), Rideau Lakes Public Library
Township of Rideau Lakes L.A.C.A.C, “Heritage Tour of Delta” (2002), Rideau Lakes Township Office
Cross-Reference to Collection