Description of Historic Place
The Kellock Block, at 39 and 43 Gore Street, is a three-storey, five-bay sandstone commercial building that was erected in 1848. It is prominently located on the corner of Gore Street and Herriott Street in downtown Perth.
The Kellock Block has been recognized for its heritage value by the Town of Perth By-law 2526.
The Kellock Block lies in an integral part of downtown Perth's Gore Street streetscape, continuing the three-storey scale of adjacent and surrounding buildings.
Built in 1848 by John Ellis for R. Matheson, it is a fine example of early commercial buildings on Gore Street, Perth's main downtown street. Originally a two-storey building, it is constructed of local sandstone cut to varying sizes with two storefronts on the main floor and capped by a hip roof.
James F. Kellock purchased the building in 1870 and around 1885 had the building extended and the front raised to form a third floor surmounted by a cornice. Both 39 and 43 Gore Street sport classic storefronts, which include bracketed wooden canopies, wooden surrounds and engaged pilasters for the large commercial windows, and elaborate front entrances with transoms.
Between 1858 and 1997, 43 Gore Street was distinguished by its continuous use as an apothecary by a series of druggists, while 39 Gore Street, for its part, housed a number of tailoring firms. In 1898 the local newspaper, The Perth Courier, occupied the premises and continues to do so to this day.
Sources: Town of Perth By-law 2526; Heritage Perth.
Character defining elements that define the heritage value of the Kellock Block include its:
- three-storey, rectangular, five-bay plan
- front facade containing two storefronts and an entranceway leading to the building's upstairs apartments
- exterior of rough-cut sandstone; cut to varying sizes
- wooden storefronts, including large wood framed commercial windows, with engaged pilasters
- 43 Gore Street's storefront with small bracketed wooden canopy and panel above the front of the store, a double display window separated by a central, insert doorway, and the door jamb with two-third length light with semi-circular arch
- square-headed upper storey windows with radiating voussoirs and lug sills
- decorated cornice
- location on Gore Street, Perth's main thoroughfare
- continuation of the three-storey scale of adjacent and surrounding buildings