Loyalist Burial Ground
King Street, St. Stephen, New Brunswick, E3L, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Loyalist Burial Ground is a late 18th century cemetery located on the east side of King Street in St. Stephen. It is the final resting place for many Loyalists settlers in St. Stephen.
Loyalist Burial Ground is designated a Local Historic Place for being the final resting place of many Loyalists and for being one of the oldest cemeteries in the St. Stephen area.
In 1784, by a grant under the Great Seal of Nova Scotia, the Loyalists were granted Garden Lots in the Jones Division. Lot# 13 on the east side of King's Mast Road, known now as King Street, was granted to James Waller, who was an Armed Boatman under the command of Captain Nehemiah Marks. All lots were 6 rods wide and 23 rods deep (30.5m by 115.5m). Captain Nehemiah Marks purchased the lot for 5 pounds and conveyed it to the Rector, Wardens and Vestry of the Church of England Parish to be used as a burial ground. The burial ground continued to be used until 1859 when the St. Stephen Rural Cemetery opened and many of the remains in the Loyalist Cemetery were relocated there.
Source: St Stephen Town Hall - Historical Places file “Loyalist Burial Ground”
The character-defining elements that describe Loyalist Burial Ground include:
- mature trees, lawn and landscaping;
- cement and wrought iron entrance arch;
- chain fence;
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
1784/01/01 to 1859/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
St. Stephen Town Hall - Historic Places File "Loyalist Burial Ground"
Cross-Reference to Collection