Home / Accueil

Archelaus Smith Museum

915 Highway 330, Centreville, Nova Scotia, B0W, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1986/08/27

Side elevation, Archelaus Smith Museum, Centreville, NS, 2008.; Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, Province of Nova Scotia 2008
Side Elevation
Side elevation, Archelaus Smith Museum, Centreville, NS, 2008.; Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage, Province of Nova Scotia 2008
Side Elevation
Main elevation, Archelaus Smith Museum, Centreville, NS, 2008.; Department of Tourism,Culture and Heritage, Province of Nova Scotia 2008
Front Elevation

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1896/01/01 to 1896/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/02/12

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Archelaus Smith Museum is a two storey, Second Empire style building located directly beside the main highway in the community of Centerville, on Cape Sable Island, Nova Scotia. This creamy-colored building with white trim has the characteristic mansard roof of the Second Empire style. The land and building were designated a heritage property by the Municipality of Barrington on July 28, 1986.

Heritage Value

The Archelaus Smith Museum is valued for its age, association with the history of the Temperance movement in the Barrington area, and for its continued use as a public building.

The building was constructed in 1896 by the Sons Temperance, Lifeboat Division #158. Some of the material used to build it came from the dismantled Centreville Church. Lifeboat Division # 158 was organized in 1860, and occupied the second storey of this building until 1921 when the division was disbanded. The first floor of the building was used by the Knights of the Macabees, who are credited with finishing the interior of this floor, which includes rich wood panels. The Knights were a fraternal organization founded in London, Ontario in 1878. The Knights were also known to have a large women’s auxiliary component. The history of the fraternity in Centreville in unknown. In 1921 ownership of the building was assumed by the Centreville Hall Trustees and for the next fifty years the building was used as a community hall, hosting a variety of local events ranging from teas to serving as a voting station.

In 1970 the building was purchased by the Archelaus Smith Historical Society to house their collections. Currently the building serves as the Archelaus Smith Museum, named in honour of New England settler, Archelaus Smith and interprets the history of Cape Sable Island and area.

Source: Municipality of the District of Barrington, Registered Property files, Archelaus Smith Museum file.

Character-Defining Elements

Character defining elements of the Archelaus Smith Museum relate to is original use and Second Empire style and include:

- two full storeys;
- symmetrical two and three-bay facades on rear and sides respectively;
- hipped-roof dormer windows projecting a short distance from roof: three on each side and two on back and front;
- two-over-two light windows;
- double entrance doors with transom;
- mansard roof;
- wood shingle cladding;
- original location directly beside road;
- all original interior features include pine flooring, doors, wood paneling and raised platform on main floor.



Nova Scotia

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NS)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act

Recognition Type

Municipally Registered Property

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Social Movements

Function - Category and Type




Social, Benevolent or Fraternal Club

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Cape Sable Historical Society P.O. Box 67 Barrington NS B0W 1E0

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places