Description of Historic Place
The Hyndman Building is a two and one-half-storey building with a truncated roof. It is situated prominently on Main Street and although changed several times in its history, it retains some elements of the Bracketted style. This is evident in the paired brackets under the eaves and in the bracketted hood mouldings which survive on some of the windows on the second floor.
The building is valued for its long history as a hotel, hospital, and location of the first telephone in the town of Montague; for its remaining architectural features; and for its contribution to the streetscape.
The property was purchased in 1877 by John J. MacDonald, formerly of Lyndale, PEI, from Norman J. Campbell. MacDonald operated the first government liquor store in Montague. He also carried the mail from Montague to Cardigan before the branch line of the PEI Railway came to Montague in 1906. He operated the current building as the Village Hotel in the 1880s. An advertisement from the time indicates that it had the first telephone system in the town.
In 1895, MacDonald purchased an adjacent lot from John Annear and increased the size of his property. By 1904, the property was traded for land and buildings owned by Dr. Alexander E. Smith (1868-1922), a veterinarian. Smith operated the premises as the Royal Hotel and Livery Stables, which included his veterinary office.
Following his death, his widow married Dr. Cecil B. Green, a dentist, and they resided at the Royal Hotel.
In 1934, it was purchased by Dr. Preston MacIntyre and renovated to become a hospital - the first in King's County. It operated at this location until 1947, when the hospital was relocated to another building on the corner of Queen's Road and Main Street.
The building then became home to Archie and Georgie Hume who also rented out the first floor to commercial businesses. Over the years, these included a jewellery store, a clothing store, and an Electrolux vacuum shop.
In 1963, Georgie Hume sold the building to Hyndman and Company Insurance Brokers.
Although renovated extensively over its long history, the building retains some early remnants of its Bracketted style. These include the paired eave brackets and the bracketted hood mouldings on many second floor windows.
With its many historical associations, the building continues to contribute to the streetscape.
Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/M18
The following character-defining elements illustrate the heritage value of the building:
- the Island sandstone foundation
- the wood frame construction and wood shingle cladding
- the two-and-one-half storey construction
- the truncated roof with eave brackets
- the fenestration of the windows and doors
- the bracketted hood moulding on some of the windows
- the brick fireplace chimney
- the location of the building prominently on Main Street