Home / Accueil

St. Mary's Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church

Hoodoo RM 401, Saskatchewan, S0K, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2004/06/15

Front elevation and landscaping, 2004; Government of Saskatchewan, J. Winkel, 2004
St. Mary's Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

St. Mary's Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church
St. Mary's Ukrainian Orthodox Church

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1913/01/01 to 1913/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/03/27

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The St. Mary’s Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church is a Municipal Heritage Property located approximately two kilometres southeast of the community of Wakaw in the Rural Municipality of Hoodoo. The designation applies to an approximately two hectare parcel of land that features a wood-frame orthodox church, a freestanding belfry and cemetery.

Heritage Value

St. Mary’s Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church is valued for its association with the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox settlers who helped found the Wakaw district. The church was built in 1913 through donated labour and finances from some of Wakaw’s original settlers. Ukrainian Orthodox followers used the church until it became too small for the growing congregation. A new, larger Ukrainian Greek Orthodox church was built in Wakaw in 1948.

The heritage significance of this site also resides in the church’s ecclesiastical architecture. The small, rectangular wood-frame structure resembles many of the rural churches built during this same period. What makes the St. Mary’s Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church distnictive is the presence of three onion-shaped domes straddling the roof. The domes and three-bar crosses on each of them represent the church’s affiliation with the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox faith.

Source:

Rural Municipality of Hoodoo No. 401 Bylaw 5, 2004.

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the St. Mary’s Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements associated with the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox settlers, such as the cemetery and the orientation of the church and belfry on their original sites;
-those elements that reflect Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church architecture, such as the three onion-shaped domes on top of the roof, three-bar crosses upon each dome on the gable roof, pointed-arch windows and the detached belfry.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Saskatchewan

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date

2004/06/15

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1948/01/01 to 1948/12/31

Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure
Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Saskatchewan Ministry of Tourism, Parks, Culture and Sport Heritage Resources Branch 1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK File: MHP 177

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 177

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places