Links and documents
1941/01/01 to 1943/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
A large, flat-roofed structure designed in a stripped down classical style, the Murray Building (S-15) is located on a sloped site at the heart of the Stadacona base. It is three storeys in height and is built of red brick with white stone panels, which form a grid of horizontals and verticals across its three principal façades. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Murray Building (S-15) is a Recognized Federal Heritage Building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental values.
The Murray Building (S-15) is closely associated with the enhanced role of the Royal Canadian Navy during the Second World War. It reflects the need for permanent shore-based administrative support facilities for the navy. As one of the first purpose-built administration buildings the Murry Building is also associated with the wartime development of Stadacona as a centre for naval training and administration.
The Murray Building (S-15) is a good example of stripped classicism. It illustrates the conservative approach to federal building design during the first half of the 20th century. The interior configuration features rooms ranged along the exterior walls connected by double-loaded corridors. This functional approach to office building design is characteristic of the early 20th century
The Murray Building (S-15) reinforces the present character of its military base setting and is a familiar landmark to those visiting the neighbourhood.
Sources: Leslie Maitland, Building S-15, CFB Stadacona Site, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office Report 99-005; Murray Building (S-15), CFB Stadacona, Halifax, Nova Scotia. Heritage Character Statement 99-005
The following character-defining elements of the Murray Building (S-15) should be respected.
Its stripped classical design with modified modernistic tendencies, and good quality materials and craftsmanship as evidenced in:
-the division of the symmetrical façade with its recessed corners into base, body and cornice through variations in material;
-the band of brick at the cornice that suggests an entablature, and the fluted stone pilasters that rise three storeys and separate the recessed bands of windows;
-the stone panels which create vertical and horizontal bands across the centre of the façades;
-the dentillated stone stringcourse at the second floor level; and
-the interior finishes and terrazzo floors.
The manner in which the Murray Building (S-15) reinforces the present character of its military base setting and is a familiar landmark to those visiting the neighbourhood as evidenced by:
-its large scale, and stripped classical design which harmonize with the adjacent buildings that form the north-western edge of the former parade square perimeter; and
-its familiarity as a landmark to the Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship Stadacona and dockyard communities, to resident naval personnel, visitors and those attending the ceremonial activities for which the building forms a backdrop.
Government of Canada
Treasury Board Heritage Buildings Policy
Recognized Federal Heritage Building
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Military Support
Architect / Designer
Ross and MacDonald
Location of Supporting Documentation
National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec
Cross-Reference to Collection
Wellington House, also known as Wellington Barracks B Mess and Building S12, is located on a slight rise of land that borders the former parade square at Canadian Forces Base…