Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Oil Stores and Artificer’s Shop is situated at the edge of the main roadway that encircles the inner works within Fort McNab National Historic Site of Canada on the southwest side of McNab’s Island. It is a long, rectangular, one-storey, brick building with a slightly pitched roof. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Oil Stores and Artificer’s Shop is a Recognized Federal Heritage Building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental values.
The Oil Stores and Artificer’s Shop is a very good example of a structure associated with the defence of Canada between 1888 and 1960 by the Imperial Navy and by Canada’s Department of National Defence. Fort McNab was established in 1888 to defend Halifax Harbour and the Imperial Naval Station. It remained in active use until after the Second World War.
The Oil Stores and Artificer’s Shop’s scale is a good example of a typical support structure designed by the British Royal Engineers within the Halifax Defence Complex. This functional building exhibits good craftsmanship. The Oil Stores and Artificer’s Shop housed a series of garrison and ordnance support functions for the fort during its active history.
The Oil Stores and Artificer’s Shop reinforces the present military character of the Fort McNab National Historic Site of Canada.
Sources: Ian Doull, Fort McNab, Halifax Defence Complex, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office Report 96-024; Oil Stores/Artificer’s Shop, Fort McNab, Halifax Defence Complex, Halifax, Nova Scotia Heritage Character Statement 96-024.
The character-defining elements of the Oil Stores and Artificer’s Shop should be respected.
Its functional design and good quality materials, for example:
- the simple, low massing;
- the brick walls, slightly pitched roof and flat concrete lintels and plain sills on all openings;
- the division into functional sections, the placement of window and door openings according to function, and the extant original interior features including wall brackets, latrine fixtures, glazed wall finishes in the latrines, and the interior remains of two brick chimneys.
The manner in which the Oil Stores and Artificer’s Shop reinforces the present military character of the setting within Fort McNab National Historic Site of Canada and its familiarity as a landmark as evidenced by:
- its specialized military defence design which harmonizes with the other defence structures in the fort setting;
- its visibility and familiarity within the fort.
Government of Canada
Treasury Board Heritage Buildings Policy
Recognized Federal Heritage Building
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Military Support
Architect / Designer
British Royal Engineers
Location of Supporting Documentation
National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec
Cross-Reference to Collection
Fort McNab National Historic Site of Canada
Fort McNab National Historic Site of Canada is situated on the southwest coast of McNabs Island at the entrance to Halifax Harbour. The site is composed of remnants of late 19th-…