12 Buchanan Avenue, St Stephen, New Brunswick, E3L, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Stone House is a one-and-a-half storey Georgian residence constructed of stone at the turn of the 19th century. It is located on Buchanan Avenue in St. Stephen.
Stone House is designated a Local Historic Place for being a good example of Georgian residential architecture from the turn of the 19th century. Built of native fieldstone and granite circa 1800, this one-and-a-half storey dwelling is the only stone house in St. Stephen. Although the exact age of the house is unknown, it sits on land granted to Jacob Libby by Captain Nehemiah Marks in 1784. This residence exhibits traditional Georgian features such as end chimneys, flush eaves and a medium-pitched gable roof. The classical entrance and granite quoins are elegant details on this cottage-sized residence.
Source: St. Stephen Town Hall - Historic Places file “Stone House”
The character-defining elements that describe the Georgian architecture of Stone House include:
- rectangular one-and-a-half storey plan;
- native fieldstone and granite walls;
- gable roof of medium pitch with flush eaves;
- two end chimneys;
- flat jack arch red brique voussoir window headers;
- granite quoin corners;
- central entrance with side lights and fanlight;
- panelled door with glass.
The character-defining elements that describe the interior include:
- two stone fireplaces;
- Dutch oven.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
St. Stephen Town Hall - Historic Places file "Stone House"
Cross-Reference to Collection