Description of Historic Place
This one storey cottage, has a low hip roof broken by a front centre gable, and an interesting, Tudor-style, transom over the main entrance. It has a full walk out basement with large windows, not visible from the street. Located at 9 Church Street, the William Trick Cottage is just north of Walton Street, and west of the downtown commercial district.
The William Trick Cottage is recognized for its heritage value, by the Town of Port Hope By-law 42/2000 Schedule B-2, passed on August 21, 2000.
Built in circa 1850, the William Trick Cottage is a good example of the simple Ontario Cottage style, prevalent in Port Hope in the mid 19th century. Its symmetrical front facade has original 6 over 6 windows, flanking the main entrance. The main entrance has sidelights and a Tudor-style, arched transom.
The cottage is associated with William Trick, who came to Canada, in 1836, from Devonshire, England, with his brother Richard. Both men were accomplished masons, and their advertisements appear in business directories, throughout the 1850's. William died in 1856, leaving the cottage to his wife, Betty.
By 1861, the house had been sold to Olive B. Hales, wife of H.B. Hales, a local saddle and harness maker. The cottage remained in the Hale family well into the 20th century.
Source: Heritage Designation By-law 42/2000 Schedule B-2, Municipality of Port Hope; Heritage Port Hope Files, Port Hope Town Hall, 56 Queen Street; Port Hope Archives, 17 Mill Street North, Port Hope.
Character defining elements that illustrate the heritage value of the William Trick Cottage include its:
- one storey Ontario cottage form, with three bay facade
- double brick exterior walls
- low hip roof broken by a low front centre gable
- two large, symmetrically placed 6 over 6 windows
- main entrance with sidelights and Tudor-style arched transom