Former Canadian Pacific Railway Station
Portage Road, Grand Falls, New Brunswick, E3Z, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Former Canadian Pacific Railway Station was built toward the end of the 19th century. It is a one-and-a-half storey wooden structure located on Portage Road, on the edge of downtown Grand Falls.
The Former Canadian Pacific Railway Station is designated a Local Historic Place because of its association with the economic development of the region and especially the Town of Grand Falls. Its architecture is typical of railway stations. The larger ones were built of stone, but this one, being smaller, was built of wood in circa 1877. Across Canada, railways are symbolic of the Victorian era, and Grand Falls is no exception. The railway station was a major factor in the economic development of the town of Grand Falls and the surrounding area. It also provided important support for the farming community and the manufacturing industries. The dock, the yards, and the industrial buildings in the vicinity clearly show the relationship between the railway and industry.
Source: Town of Grand Falls, Historic Places Site File No. 14.
The character-defining elements of the Former Canadian Pacific Railway Station include:
- one-and-a-half-storey rectangular massing;
- wood frame;
- protruding portion in the centre of the façade on the railway side, which once served as the ticket office;
- large brackets under the eaves;
- corner boards;
- clapboard siding painted in colours typical of Victorian-era railway stations;
- roof combining two types: three of the slopes meet in a median line, forming a hipped roof, whereas a gable is formed at the opposite end;
- overhanging eave formed by the hipped roof, supported by finely decorated rafters;
- brick chimney piercing the roof, a reminder of the former wood heating system of the era.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Communications and Transportation
Function - Category and Type
- Historic or Interpretive Site
- Station or Other Rail Facility
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Town of Grand Falls, Historic Places file #14
Cross-Reference to Collection